Lead ejection

neontrifle

I am in need of a reminder of the exact way to construct a rig that ejects the lead. I have spent some time searching on here and Googling but cannot find what I need. I must have read about it somewhere.......... maybe in mags or on the net.

Basically I am fishing a new lake from next week and this syndicate water is surrounded by Norfolk reeds and other weed beds. At the AGM I attended they were very keen on pressing the value of using ultra safe rigs as some fish were lost due to Carp being tethered. Interestingly they experimented last year by banning barbed hooks but have done a complete turnaround after discovering that the fish suffered more mouth damage during this period. They have advocated using safety clips but impressed upon us that the components should not be pushed home too far so that the lead is always ejected on a take. The thing is I would like to use the helicopter/chod style rigs but have forgotten how to present it to let the lead eject when snagged. 18 months ago I was using such a rig but cannot for the life of me remember how to make such a rig. It was a helicopter rig with the inline lead somehow fastened to the end of the leadcore but as soon as any pressure from Mr Carp the lead would come off. Can anyone throw me a link with diagrams?

666 mate

can you explain your drawing please

No not really :lol::lol::lol: Iv never used it TBH and never attemted to, but i can remember reading/seeing it some time ago, and though if i drew it, it might jog Neon's mind :oops::oops:

The way i see it, is that the top swivel will pull free on the take or the strike, just leaving the bottom swivel in and if the lead snags the only way for the lead to go is off backwards, (if i remeber correctly both swivels have to fastend to the leader)

yeah with you on that one, i,ve seen is using inline lead, leader, and rubber tail. no drawings no good at doing them. bottom swivel tucked in bottom of inline insert, leader goes round the outside, then the rubbr tail on leader comes down onto the top of the inline plastic insert. can you draw that, i cant. full ejection have a go your better at art than me.

martyn

for standard bottom rig thats the one, for chod style silicone insert both ends then as your first drawing, on the take front end swivel out first, then in thoery the lead flips and slips off it dont take much to dis lodge the lead have played but not tried yet.

but unless the rules say eject leads on the take, this is all point less and we will use re std rigs. neon is unlucky that he has to go this far.

Thank you so much 666's drawing is exactly what I was after

I seem to remember having to take the plastic insert out if the inline lead then I think you have a swivel on the leadcore to push into the top of the lead. Then a swivel in the end loop of the leadcore that pushes into the bottom end. So when you have a take the top swivel pops out (as noted by Tucker...thanks) followed by the bottom end thus lead is ejected. So the net result is you are playing the fish in a straight line because the hooklink travels to the end of the rig and is stopped by the last swivel.

Can anyone remember which mag that was in last year?

Thanks everyone

for standard bottom rig thats the one, for chod style silicone insert both ends then as your first drawing, on the take front end swivel out first, then in thoery the lead flips and slips off it dont take much to dis lodge the lead have played but not tried yet.

but unless the rules say eject leads on the take, this is all point less and we will use re std rigs. neon is unlucky that he has to go this far.

I don’t see it as being “unlucky” I just want what’s best for the Carp and as I am joining this new syndicate I took note of the desired methods. At the AGM it was stressed that members should be self policing but new members may get spot checked by the bailiffs, which I think is fair enough. I am keen to continue using this water for a long while. I just don’t have confidence in the safety clip type rigs and prefer either the Fox safety sleeves (because they can be used as running or bolt style rig) or the Chod/Helicopter style setup. I just could not remember how to assemble the Helicopter/Chod style rig that ejects the lead on a take. The anglers above have refreshed my memory but without wanting to split a gnats hair could anyone give me a detailed breakdown of individual components used?

I can already feel Nick breathing down my neck :wink: .......but I have done a lot of searching

I agree with Jonezy that the easiest way is to just use a " rotten bottom " of 3 - 4lb line. The one concern i have with these sort of rigs is that once the lead is ditched , should a breakage of the line occur then the fish will be trailing the leadcore until the leader maybe becomes snagged as there will be no lead to help the rig off the end of the leader, assuming it's set up heli' style

Thinking about it, if it is set up for a chod rig and the leader is lost with a fish attached then in theory if the top bead on the leader is less than half way up, the end trailing below the fish will be the end where the rig needs to exit , making it virtually impossible :idea::?:

If that makes sense ??? :)

p.s I know that it's not what you asked for but being as the thread is in the interests of fish safety i thought it was worth mentioning.

Sam.

sorry jonzey he wanted chod rig, silicone inserts both end of lead as 666 has drawn with swivels inserted, then just add lead the rig wont need retying every time.

Think about Jonezy's post :wink:

It is right :wink: , set up a standard helicopter rig, but instead of tying on the lead use a rig ring, then attach the lead to the rig ring with a piece of light line, or even a paper clip. Will or may need the use of pva on cast.

The other option was to splice the leader material. Then with the splice get it doubled over with the main piece in the middle of the leader holding the Lead in place, so you have the leader either side of the lead, but it can pop free if it snags up. Also works with the leads that have the "split" for the insert

Please seriously think about leadcore, and AVOID it if there is any possibility that Fish Safety is compromised in the slightest, as some set-ups are definitely not fish safe, and that includes Helicopter set-ups.

Search for the thread "Leader or not?" that 666 started :wink: