help carping for dummies

dave_askew

Yes you want a nice snug fit normally a size 7 or 8 swivel fits perfectly!

Left of the pic to the right!

Rig swivel, Lead clip, Tail rubber (im guessing its the tail rubber your after? Also remember to wet the lead clip before ushing the tail on and also only lightly push the tail on unless your chucking a long distance then you may need to push it on a little further as the lead can come free on the cast! you should be able to pull the lead free from the clip (whilst the tail is on) without to much pressure :wink:

I think that this lead set up is over used, most probably due to the angling media and a certain "pro".

IMO The set up is overly bulky and there for more visible/obtrusive and the set up isnt actually a brilliant fish hooker.

Yes the setup does have its merits, at times it has been a life saver literally and has out fished other setups at times but i dont think that it is the quick fix to all fishing and i dont think that it is the safest rig in every situation, It also dumps too many leads on the cast esp if ur using pva (handy at times) but gets annoying if your having a good day.

You find a lot of new carpers using the this rig, but is that due to its hype??? It is nice to no that fish safety is at the front of peoples minds however.

Is it the best set up for a beginner??? what do you view as the best beginner set up.

Id like to know what other peoples views of this lead setup are.

Sorry if this debate already exists.

Regards Jack :)

if you are using a korda lead clip- use the korda size 8 swivels as these are the ones they are designed for and they fit absoulutely perfectly!

Different manufacturers do have different sizes for the same size8 :shock:

I seem to remember that Danny Fairbrass wrote about it in the Advanced Korda Guide to Rig Making.

One of the reasons that I won't use Lead Clips, and Zander's point is another!

I think the reason people use this set up is it is conveniant. you can change lead quick for different situations, you can take your lead off when carrying your rods so they dont get damaged, you have a host of other componants available to you that fit and change the set up a little bit and if fine tuned you can have a rig with multi uses.

The main reason i use the system is for changing leads. I use long hooklinks most of the time and this set up suits that also as the bait is generally away from the clip anyway. I move alot in my fishing, this means i can move on fish and just select a lead to suit..... 100 yards, zip lead, 20 yards a 1/2 oz arelsey bomb etc?

Coops, have a look at the enterprise snag safe lead systems. These are running lead set ups where it is easy to change the lead to whatever you want infact its probably easier than a lead clip system and it has the benefit of losing the lead if snagged unlike some other running systems.

I must admit I seldom use lead clips ,not that they dont have their uses ,I just prefer running rigs or inline leads .

My biggest gripe with the lead clip is that you can often lose the lead when fishing with pva bags ,i know this can be overcome by tying the clip up with pva tape but to me thats just one more thing to have to fiddle about with !

i am a big inline fan. use tham for 95% of fishing. Less tangles than lead clips and the fish is in more instant contact with the weight of the lead. with lead clips there is a slight resistance as it all pulls into line. not much difference but hey its the little things that make big differece. use what you are happy with and you will fish well

quick change links connected to your mainline then your hooklink means you can change your hooklink quickly

The problem with Quick links and the like is that if you connect then direct to the mainline you increase the risk of twist.

Attach them to a swivel and you have created an extra pivot point that may be able to be used by the Carp to eject the hook.

I'll stick to a swivel join between Mainline and rig :wink:

The quick link cant swivel, it allows the swivel a right left movement, thats it.

attaching the mainline directly to the swivel means you cant, prepare and change rigs that you have baited, pva`d without retying the whole rig,

experienced carpers in winter fishing should already know this.

So should those fishing in nonstop rain.

Edit: rod out of the water is a lost fish....

The quick link cant swivel, it allows the swivel a right left movement, thats it.

attaching the mainline directly to the swivel means you cant, prepare and change rigs that you have baited, pva`d without retying the whole rig,

You really aint got a clue mate

You really sure about that?

It is possible, and quite easily.

Instead of attaching the rig to the swivel by a direct knot, then you can attach it via a "loop to loop". Works with Mono and braid, although I do worry about the loop knot with fluorocarbon.

I have a selection of rigs in my Rig bins already baited with Air Dried baits or pop-ups.

To be honest it takes as little time to tie a new mainline to swivel knot as it does to get my fingers inside a quick link to open it.

On top of that because I'm experienced enough to know about it, I also dry anything that gets wet before I attach PVA.

I make up bags or mesh ready and often have some already made up in the bait bucket. I can then attach them to the hook and/or lead clip after drying the end tackle. Easy enough in the rain or in the winter.

In fact the last 2 trips I have been on the rain was heavy enough that PVA was a nightmare whether it was made up or not.

I did also point out that a quick link can't swivel, which may increase the possibility of line twist.

Rod out the water a lost fish?

Merely a take you have not yet received, and a rod out the water being properly prepared is worth the inconvenience of it leaning against the bivvy for a few minutes.

Instead of attaching the rig to the swivel by a direct knot, then you can attach it via a "loop to loop". Works with Mono and braid, although I do worry about the loop knot with fluorocarbon.

I have a selection of rigs in my Rig bins already baited with Air Dried baits or pop-ups.

To be honest it takes as little time to tie a new mainline to swivel knot as it does to get my fingers inside a quick link to open it.

On top of that because I'm experienced enough to know about it, I also dry anything that gets wet before I attach PVA.

I make up bags or mesh ready and often have some already made up in the bait bucket. I can then attach them to the hook and/or lead clip after drying the end tackle. Easy enough in the rain or in the winter.

In fact the last 2 trips I have been on the rain was heavy enough that PVA was a nightmare whether it was made up or not.

I did also point out that a quick link can't swivel, which may increase the possibility of line twist.

Merely a take you have not yet received, and a rod out the water being properly prepared is worth the inconvenience of it leaning against the bivvy for a few minutes.

The quicklink i`m talking about has a little protruding bit so the swivel can come off quickly, I make my rigs with svivels attatched.

Thanks for the constructive critisisms, see you.

So you attach the quik link to your mainline and then attach your hooklinks to the quicklink with a swivel. This to me says that you will not get the benefit of the swivel in reducing twist in your mainline which is what swivels were invented for. Why not use the swivel as it is designed for and tie your hooklinks to the quiklink and then attach this to the swivel tied on your mainline as its designed to be used.

The quicklink i`m talking about has a little protruding bit so the swivel can come off quickly, I make my rigs with svivels attatched.

Thanks for the constructive critisisms, see you.

I'll let you into a secret :wink:8)

In Sea Fishing they have been around for a lot longer than in Carp Fishing.

I'm not totally sure about it, but I think Carp-R-Us were first with the Quick Change idea in Carp Fishing with "Gizmo" about 1995/6.

I was using a quick change link long before that, with Breakaway Spin links (SL2).

I found by experimentation that they needed to be sleeved or rigs could pop free (and lost a fish because of that). A mate of mine also lost a fish because the quick link opened out on him, and that was one designed for Carp Fishing. The hooklink swivel slid down into the gap between the 2 "prongs", and one side bent open

I also watched fish feeling and ejecting for the movement of the swivel as it picked onto the link clip. (Told you I had too much time on my hands on some waters :?:wink: ).

Attaching the swivel to the mainline, I believe it was Courtz who I showed about a loop to loop from the Leader to the swivel (admittedly it was a leadcore splice at the time), but it does work whichever side the swivel is, mainline or hooklink.

A loop knot or splice in the Mainline or braided leader can be covered over with tubing, just make sure that the internal diameter is large enough.