slack line

fisherflack

Hi guys,

As mentioned I am only just coming back to fishing after a long break and to be honest most of the fishing I have done was match so not that clued up on the Carp side of things! I went this weekend and blanked although I did have a couple of bleeps on the buzzer wich I thought were line bites, but reading some stuff on here it could have been fish feeding but my rig was not right! or my line was to tight,

I had one running rig and one fixed rig and I had a bleep on each of them throughout the day, but both rods had tight lines, should I have had them slacker? To do this, should I reel the line tight then just back off a little before attaching the swingers?

Sorry to sound thick!

Rob

Guest Anonymous

hi m8 welcome to the forum :)

this time of year it's sometimes difficult to tell if single bleeps are a carp bite or not as the fish start getting lethargic in the cold water, one way of advoiding line bites is to use a back lead this is simply a small sliding weight attached to your line after casting which will pin your line to the bottom between your rod tip & the bait

another way depending on what type of alarms you are using is to turn the sensetivity down slightly

hope this helps :D

• 2 weeks later...

I always fish slack lines mate as the waters i fish are pressured and the i think the fish associate lines wityh danger ( i think this as i have had good results after resting my swim for a period of time on long sessions)

I always fish with my swingers almost flat on the ground or resting on the ground so some of the weight is taken off the line, even if the fish are lethargic if your rig works you will no about it.

I also tend to use very short hooklinks which can exagerate takes as the fish hits the lead almost immediatly.

Tight lines:)

This year I've been fishing with very slack lines and running leads. My rigs are pretty basic, and are normally about 15cms long. Had a reasonably good season so far where i'm fishing, but wish I could spend more time on there.

I've found that tight lines and fixed leads tend to get sussed fairly easily on some of the waters I have fished in the past, so I tend to try to be different from everyone else.

hi m8 welcome to the forum :)

this time of year it's sometimes difficult to tell if single bleeps are a carp bite or not as the fish start getting lethargic in the cold water, one way of advoiding line bites is to use a back lead this is simply a small sliding weight attached to your line after casting which will pin your line to the bottom between your rod tip & the bait

another way depending on what type of alarms you are using is to turn the sensetivity down slightly

hope this helps :D

Do yourself a favour, try fishing for liners in the winter months and just work your baits onto the fish !!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

without stating the obvious, yes fish are more lethargic in colder water........ so why fish a slack line (unless they are ultra wary) and risk the chance of having your bait almost bang on the button but not having a clue. at this time of year more than any, location is the holy grail, use every trick in your book to maximise on it;) :wink:

Del,

Fair Point, getting liners on tight lines and working ''back" to the fish is a way of locating them. Not always at what depth they are at tho;)

Nick,I agree with you to a certain extent but, in this weather they are more likely to be found in the deeper water anyway (other than with a bit of sun hitting a marginal shelf or a shallow bay etc)

Im fishing Ardingly res at the moment and its 200 acres with a small head of not overly big fish (25.3 best to date) this tactic is working on there to a big degree, obviously you have to use watercraft too, cant just chuck and chance on a water that size!!!!!:wink::D

ay up matey!! long time no speak. Nicks fishing Ardleigh res I think (over in the badlands lol). got a big old patch of water to get stuck into down here mate,and some absolutely cracking estate lakes to myself too!!! Hows sunny shrops these days?? feels like a lifetime since I moved down here

Suffolk and Essex, The Badlands? More like if the world ever needed an Enema, where they'd put the needle.

I agree with that mate, definitely no place for chuck and chance.

Although I think that at certain times fish definitely have a preference for a particular depth, and its not always the deepest water in the Reservoir. Up 'til now most of the fish I have caught have been in 6-8feet of water, although due to Personal Life I have not managed to fish for 8weeks, so am a bit out of touch of what is happening.

Other lakes I have fished though I have not caught a Winter fish in much more than 8feet, although not many Lakes around here are much deeper than that. The Reservoir is posing me new problems and difficulties to be overcome;)

Suffolk and Essex, The Badlands? More like if the world ever needed an Enema, where they'd put the needle.

I agree with that mate, definitely no place for chuck and chance.

Although I think that at certain times fish definitely have a preference for a particular depth, and its not always the deepest water in the Reservoir. Up 'til now most of the fish I have caught have been in 6-8feet of water, although due to Personal Life I have not managed to fish for 8weeks, so am a bit out of touch of what is happening.

Other lakes I have fished though I have not caught a Winter fish in much more than 8feet, although not many Lakes around here are much deeper than that. The Reservoir is posing me new problems and difficulties to be overcome;)

are you sure matey????

I saw your fizzog in the angling times a few weeks ago with a nice specimen!!:wink:

very hard going on the bigger waters sometimes mate but lets face it, they dont have to be huge [censored]s to be well worth the hours put in bankside. like I said, my best so far has been a mid twenty ( still a fish Im more than happy with,and a fish of a lifetime when I started my carp fishing)

the majority of my takes have been in around twelve feet of water so far on the res, and it has been interesting to say the least with the weather warming up nicely during the day,but the water level is so low at the minute that where there should be a nice shallow marginal shelf to bask on, is now just a frosty bank of silt!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Angling Times? or Carp Talk? Would that be the Wild/Angry Looking 24lb Leather?

I haven't put anything into Angling Times so if anything has appeared in there then it was from the Ardleigh Staff, if it was Carp Talk they are about 3weeks behind when it was caught.

I still enjoy catching Mid Twenties, lets face it I enjoy catching any fish. In 18trips I have caught 7Carp and 4 of them were 20lb+, which I regard as a Good Result, but still think I should/could do more. I put any blank down as I'm doing something wrong, either Location, Baiting or just not enough effort into my fishing. I think that the effort you put in gets the rewards back and all of fishing is part of the Learning Curve.

The banks of Ardleigh are more Gravel than Silt, and the level is going down. The levels from August have dropped by about a metre. I think I have found a few fish that are Residents of a particular area, which drops to 8feet maximum, close to where they entered the Reservoir, which I have found contains quite a bit of Natural Food, only problem is it is next to one of the "easier" access points of the Water.:rolleyes:

water levels on ardingly have dropped by about 10ft since june mate so you can imagine the problems thats posing at the minute. No gravel at all on the arm Im concentrating on at the second but there are a few hard spots here and there, however these have not been productive in the least.

I am seriously lucky in the fact that I have access to the estate side of the res (thanks to family connections etc) which nobody else gets to, and its at least a 400 yd chuck for anybody else to get in on the action Im seeing at the minute. No prizes for guessing where the fish are stacked up in summer!!!! no angling pressure aside from me this year:D :D :D :D :D

You get much weed on the Reservoir? I've been baiting patches and watching the Carp and Bream clear the area of weed and Groundbait. The weed that stays is jam packed full of Natural Food, snails, shrimp and line fraying Swan Mussels.

Unfortunately I have to contend with Swim Pinchers. You know the ones, see you catch a Carp and then move in on top of you. Doesn't do them much good as you either get a result first night or the Carp take ages to move onto your area. If its the latter then you haven't caught anything when they come around.

Did have a good result on a single overnighter back in July, 2 20+ Fully scaleds. Gorgeous fish. Then the area got heavily pressured for weeks. I tried the same swim about a month later and just caught Bream, it was like the Carp were avoiding the area.

Strange thing is most of my fish I have had multiple takes. I have lost a couple, both my own fault, but neither felt or looked big when I saw them in the margins.

know just what you mean about "swim pinchers" mate, thats one of a couple of reasons that I have a deep rooted love of the really old estate lakes (as you know). Not too much of a problem on ardingly as its not known for carp, and the fact that all along the estate side (totalling about 145 acres) is not open to anybody. Beauty of it is that Im right in amongst the pheasant pens at the minute too!! (really good with a bottle of red for a very civilised bivvy supper) :D :D :D :D

weed is not very prolific from what I can make out so far, only a couple of fair sized beds.Its very rich in bloodworm though in a few spots. funny you mentioned swan mussels though Nick as Ive stalked two out on them when we first moved down here. i also have a little secret trick for a glug/soak/bag additive/spod mix liquid that has to be seen to be believed. pm me for details fella