Flying Backleads and Running Rigs

natty

Good afternoon.

I said I wished I fished the lakes you did.

I have fished lakes where the fish self hook,but a lot more where they dont.

Maybe its because a lot of my angling nowdays tends to be on huge gravel pits,I dont know?

However If I am fishing for soft mouths I will happely fish running rigs especialy if not used for some timeon the water in question.

If fishing hard mouths I always use bolt rigs and if need be I will play with the rigs/complicate them untill I get good pickups.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a running rig there is absolutely no advantage of using tubing nor flying back leads. The less bits and pieces hanging from your line allows the bites to be transmitted to your alarm more efficiently. Mono main line straight through with a fluoro hook link is very unlikely to tangle and, contrary to some suggestions, it is not necessary to strike in order to set the hook. I have now used this set up, with light leads at all ranges, for in excess of 10 years and the bites are normally screamers and well hooked and I am now convinced that the weight of the lead has very little to do with hooking the fish.
hi bud im 100% with you on this , the above korda set up does work ,but as you say this way is better without bits hanging from the mainline....tight lines....col. :wink::D

• 2 months later...

When I used to use a running rig and back lead, all I done was lick a PVA nugget and stick it to the line, a foot or so from the lead, :wink:

Even If it comes off in flight its done its job as you only need the lead and flying back lead separated for the first part of the cast. even trim the nugget down make it more aero dynamic if going for a long cast.