Early 2009 French Trip

map

Me and a mate really, really want to get ourselves over to France in early 2009. Unfortunately, we would only be able to make the trip in February or March, due to work/family commitments. I've contacted a couple of fisheries in the Brittany area and have been told the weather will be horrible and wait until later in the year, which we can't really do. Has anybody else been over to France during these months previously that can give me some advice on where to go. I know it's going to be cold, but that doesn't bother us at all, last February we fished the river Severn and dispite actually freezing to the bank on a couple of occassions still managed to catch new PB's for both Barbel and Chub :D. Anyway if anyone can help at all I would be very grateful.

Hi Map,

I dont know who you contacted in Brittany, but our lake in Brittany is open mid March till the end of October, and then the rest of the year we do out of season offers.

We even have anglers come and spend Xams with us. We already have booking for the 1st week in March 2009 and had anglers here from 6th March this year.

Please feel free to p.m. if we can be off help to you.

All the best Berny and Gordon

• 2 months later...

France's weather is completely different to ours. Most lakes are situated 4-5 hours from Calais, in the champagne region. It gets hotter in the summer and much colder in the winter. Last year in early April, some lakes were frozen in the edge and it snowed heavily. Admittedly, it was cold here too early in April, but not that cold.

I would worry about February/March big time. I've booked the week beginning the 5th April 09, and i feel like i'm chancing it.

I wish you well, hopefully it could be an early spring and you'll be hauling! Be interested to know how you get on.

Steve.

Hi, I am also looking to go for a week to France early April. The missus is pregnant and is due at the end of May so this will be the last time i can get out for a while. We are looking to book a lake exclusively with a lodge with all the creature comforts. In the party will be my brother and a mate, me & my girly.

Can anyone recommend a decent venue? Not too far south though as she is not that keen on a massively long drive. And of course decent sized fish!

Thanks

Hi, I am also looking to go for a week to France early April. The missus is pregnant and is due at the end of May so this will be the last time i can get out for a while. We are looking to book a lake exclusively with a lodge with all the creature comforts. In the party will be my brother and a mate, me & my girly.

Can anyone recommend a decent venue? Not too far south though as she is not that keen on a massively long drive. And of course decent sized fish!

Thanks

PM sent