Rig foam

fishingaddict

when you order anything from tv.s etc the little bits of foam are pva,

dont buy the solar ones mate i paid £4 for mine different colours and they arent that good

Some of the packaging nuggets are starch based Joe. I'm not nitpicking, I'm just saying as I bought a huuuuge bag from my local tackle emporium for a quid, and it took around five minutes to dissolve fully, in warm(ish) water, and that was the starchy stuff. I tend to use the Solar jacketed coloured stuff, but I don't know why they think you'd want so many brown bits! :?:x

That stuff from the ELC looks OK though, I have to say...

When I used to pay for the stuff the ELC was my purchase point. Since then I know that a lot of companies use the Corn/Maize /Starch foam as environmentally friendly packing. So I made sure that I got a dustbin bag for free. :twisted::twisted:8):D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I use foam over a bottom that is full of debris. I have found that ordinary foam has far to slow a melt for my liking so I wrap my foam in PVA mesh and nick it through the mesh for a quicker settlement of the bait.

Question - I know previous posts have suggested that all foam is the same be it ELC or solar...but is this really the case ?

I have seen that Gardner has a quick melt foam and thought of trying this as my method is very time consuming. It would be much better if I could just nick some foam on and forget about it residing on the hook for ages before dissolving ?

Has anybody used the Gardner foam. If so would like to hear your comments. thanks.

Steamy.

i never use foam as i went night fishing put a piece of foam on and it was still there in yhe morning

:lol::lol::lol:

Then you bought the wrong foam :wink:

sums it up.

If you go into Tackle shop then get the Solar stuff, or if you buy (from ELC or get it free for packaging) make sure you get the Dissolving foam.

It's good stuff, helps presentation no end, "buffers" your rig landing on lake beds, and helps prevent tangles

Actually, they are all made of stach, not PVA...edible also if you get hungry.

Have a look onto the auction sites...'biodegradable void filler'

All companies sell pretty much the same stuff, fox, solar, gardner etc. I bought 15cubic feet for about £20 including postage. Enough to last me a live time!! I have actually re-sold the stuff on there as nuggetts for fishing. I made ~£150 profit for half of the bag, selling in lots of 100!! I got bored of doing it tho, so gave up! :lol::lol::lol:

I still have tonnes left over in my garage. Always good to have a decent supply to fill up my container before I go.

I did a few tests in the bath with coated braid, and most of the time it did kick the bait away. Not perfect, but then again, when a fish moves over the bottom, it would naturally waft the debris and your hook bait around. So you can never be sure that your rig is lying in a good position all the time once the fish move in. How can you be sure that fish don't take baits lying on top of your lead?? When feeding, carp dont pick up food off the bottom with their lips, they suck it in, so would they even feel the lead, unless they where tight to the bottom???