short hooklenth

tomdavpedley

It takes a great deal of confidence to fish with hooklinks of this size when your used to fishing 8-14" as standard length.But you'll be surprised just how confident takes will be especially when fished in conjunction with a bolt rig.As with everything they have their time and place,sometimes outfishing longer hooklengths when longer at other times may be better.

Short hooklengths (below 6 inches) come into their own when fished with a semi-fixed lead/bolt rig. Most of my fishing is done like this and I always prefer to use a stiff hooklength over a supple braid. (Usually Black Amnesia). When fishing weed/deep silt, I place the whole rig in a pva bag (lead as well) so will go down to about 3-4 inches. The run from a hooked carp is usually very fast and aggressive, due to the carp feeling the hook and weight so quickly.

I've used an Inch Braided Hooklength when Particle Fishing, bit of a sod to tie tho'.

Worked a treat, the Carp were just so pre-occupied on the Particles this was the only way I could get a decent indication without being bitten off.