Howell Hyde

fish4fun

Howell Hyde is a brill place to fish if your not after the big ones and just after a relaxing day for fishing. The fish there don't get much biger than 20 or 30 pounds. The roach there sometimes get anoying so try not to fish to far in. You have to get there early becuase the lake gets busy and its only a small lake so there are little places to fish aswell. When i went fishing there i just leggerd and left it out there until my rod tip went flying in the opposite direction. It took me about 10 minutes to get in but it was my biggest fish ever 28 pound carp.. im not sure wot type. well howell is a really good place to fish for medioca place for beggenier carp fishermen and woman.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
For your information andy unhooking mats are in the rules and have been saince the day i first fished the lake arond 10years ago

yep i know mate i meant that i general,last time i was there a few years ago it was full of very unexperienced anglers (which i dont have a problem with) but they were catching alot of carp while the baliff was round and he really didn't seem to care how the fish were being treated which is just terrible to watch............haven't been there since so maybe its improved alot

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

what a shame..!!! I used to fish Holwell over 25 years ago, in fact it was where I first started my carp fishing career.. I have some wonderful memories of the place. The fish were not that big but to me at the time a common of 8lb was an absolute monster...!!! The Bailiff used to live in a house overlooking the lake and was a real stickler for the rules but once you got to know him he was a real mine of information and extremely helpful...

It really is a shame to hear that it know seems to have gone to wrack and ruin..

• 8 months later...

I've been going to Holwell Hyde occasionally for about a year- I agree it is a dump, but it is close and usually offers plenty of bites for a short evening session.

I was back there recently and the rubbish problem has got pretty bad. Management have changed the rules so that night fishing is now by prior appointment only, and the 'first light to dusk' policy seems to be pretty firmly enforced. Also the bank from the left of the car park is now only for regulars (I'm not 100% sure about this...).

I have no idea if these changes will improve the place. I agree with previous posts about rubbish, bad fish condition, bad attitudes, unsupervised kids etc. Maybe these changes will help... (maybe not!)

Any ideas for different decent runs waters near Welwyn Garden City?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Quick update. Stanborough Lakes' owwners/Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City Council (?) have resumed management of Howell Hyde as of 2 weeks ago, so a member has said. Coincidentally the surrounding fields are earmarked for development under Hatfield and W. G. C.'s Core Strategy to build 10,000 houses along the A414 over the next 7 years. Going to be called Birchwood Village apparently. Happy suburban fishing everyone!