Bait below the hook on a hair rig????

barricorps

Has anyone ever experimented with reversing the hair rig so that the hook is tied on and the bait (ie a boilie) is above the hook.

My thinking being that the hook may enter the mouth before the bait and have more of a chance of a hook hold??

Are there any rigs like this or would this not be anywhere near as efficent hooking arrangement as a standard hair.(i assume not !)

If I am picturing correctly in my mind what you are describing - then I think the hook may turn / flip over when sucked in and follow behind the bait. The hook may then prick the outside of the carps mouth (on the way in). If it misses this then there would be less chance of it pricking on the way out, as it would be facing the wrong way?

I think you are probably right in that if the hook did catch it would probably be outside of the fishes mouth which is obviously not a good thing.

I was just curious as to whether it had ever been tried on the bank, i may be wrong but did kevin maddocks try it in carp fever in his tank tests???

I don't know on the magazine article sorry (I don't read them that often)

I have done a quick (and very rough :oops: ) sketch of how I imagined the rig you were describing and how it may enter a carps mouth if they were sucking baits in :wink: I have seen this drawing somewhere else. I can't remember if it was on this site or in a book. It also showed how hooks may react with the hair comming off at bend of the hook.

untitled.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I remember that Andy Little, Jan Wenckza and Chris Ball used to put a piece of non dissolving foam on the hook to lift the hook above the bait when Fishing Burton (Frensham(?)). The bait was resting on the lakebed with the hook above it, I believe it was christened the "Over Rig".

I'll have a look for a pic later and try to edit and include it in here :wink:

Nige,

Do you mean this drawing?

HairAttachment.jpg

It's originally from The Anglers Mail Guide to Carp Fishing by Andy Little, and I think we had another discussion on the best place to position the exit point of the hair on the hook, so I put it up on here in another post a while back :wink: