Split shots and mono

natty

I want to have a go float fishing for carp at a local lake in the margins. Braid is banned, so I will be using mono. I am going to use float stops either side of the float to hold it in place. But I will need split shots to cock the float.

Will the split shots damage the mono, if they will is there a way around it?

For close in work i prefer to float leger, basicaly put your float on held in place with your float stops, then a small leger weight 3/4 ounce sort of size, then a rubber buffer bead and then tie your hooklink on either hair rig or just standerd hook to nylon with swivel, set the depth and your away very resistant free with only having a float on the line,

If you go with the normal float set up, as long as you dont put the weights/shots on to tight they will be fine, if you need to get weights and you want a soft shot get Anchor weights and Dinsmore are abit tougher again personaly i prefer the Dinsmore shot as the Anchor ones can be abit to soft, if you are fishing near a weedbed and the fish has a chance of getting in there then you could put a small peice of silicone tubing on the line then put your weights on this, this will also allow you to slide the weights up and down the line so you can ajust the depth etc without having to open the shot up every time :wink:

I cant see split shot doing much damage as long as you don't put it on too tight.

I used to float fish a lot when i was younger with shot all up my line which wasn't normally stronger than 3 or 4lb and it never did any damage or cost me any fish.

The only problem with a self cocking float is that if you want to lay it on and fish the lift method you wouldn't get an indication until the fish moves away and that's if it's still got the bait.

hi, why don't you try the split shots that the match fishing guys use? It's a soft lead so you can open it with your nails and it's easy to put it on your line. I'm using Dinsmores and never have my line kinked. Or, if you don't trust the shots you can use putty and that will defenetly not cause any problems.

• 1 month later...
I cant see split shot doing much damage as long as you don't put it on too tight.

I used to float fish a lot when i was younger with shot all up my line which wasn't normally stronger than 3 or 4lb and it never did any damage or cost me any fish.

The only problem with a self cocking float is that if you want to lay it on and fish the lift method you wouldn't get an indication until the fish moves away and that's if it's still got the bait.

i think he means because shots are made for lighter lines and is asking wether split shots on a larger diameter line will damage it, and to answer this question i have never had a problem with the line being weakend when putting split shots on it

Hi

If your margin fishing mate i would just use the lift method using solar depth charge or a float wrapped in heavy metal putty.

honestly i would not have a problem nipping some shot onto the line, can't recall losing a fish through it.

the lift method is such a lovely way to fish and would be my first hit on a calmer day.

regards

slacker