what sort of rig ?

newmarket

hi chaps , novice carper here once again with another question ......

i`ve seen a picture of a rig the type of which my inexperienced eyes have never seen before and i wonder if anybody can explain to me what it might be used for ?

its a 2 inch braid hooklink attached to what looks like a very stiff 4 or 5 inch long length of mono with a swivel . the hook also has no hair attached to it ....instead it has a small ring attached to the shank .

now i`m not stupid enough to think that every fish gets caught on a hair rig but i would like to know what the ring is for ?

is it simply to tie your own hair to ? or is there a more revolutionary (to me) use for it ?

thanks in advance for any ideas :oops:

hi chaps , novice carper here once again with another question ......

i`ve seen a picture of a rig the type of which my inexperienced eyes have never seen before and i wonder if anybody can explain to me what it might be used for ?

its a 2 inch braid hooklink attached to what looks like a very stiff 4 or 5 inch long length of mono with a swivel . the hook also has no hair attached to it ....instead it has a small ring attached to the shank .

now i`m not stupid enough to think that every fish gets caught on a hair rig but i would like to know what the ring is for ?

is it simply to tie your own hair to ? or is there a more revolutionary (to me) use for it ?

thanks in advance for any ideas :oops:

The small ring attatched to the hook is to tie your boilie or what ever bait you are using to using dental floss or something similar have you got a pic of the rig then probley we will be able to help you further :wink:

thanks willow .....i knew you were going to ask that :)

sorry no its just something i saw in a mates magazine.....

following on from that , why would anyone choose to tie a bait to that ring usung floss etc ? are there advantages over a plain old hair ?

i mean , why not just stick the bait on the hook like i used to when i was a little `un ?

sounds like a d-rig combi link,the ring is attached so it slides on a loop easily,so when the bait is ejected it is this which moves first sliding along the loop,leaving the hook to follow last.This is designed to make the hook find a hold more easily,the 2" braid is to help give the end a more natural appearance,being supple it has an easier more natural range of movement at the end,the stiffer monofilament part was designed to give the hook better anti eject qualities.this rig was used where braided hooklinks were the norm,whilst being very supple,the carp could eject them with just as much ease. :D:D hope this is of some help

outdated is not the term i would use,as you could say monofilament hooklinks are ancient they can still out fish both types of rig when used under the right sets of circumstances.The trick is to find out what is most popular on you water and try something completely different on one of your rods,see how you get on.Even try side hooking boilies if everyone is using hair rigs.If fish come across the same types of rigs all the time then they figure out a way to deal with it,so try and do the opposite of the crowd/or what is most popular in the angling mags etc.hope this is of some use :D:D

sounds like a d-rig combi link,the ring is attached so it slides on a loop easily,so when the bait is ejected it is this which moves first sliding along the loop,leaving the hook to follow last.This is designed to make the hook find a hold more easily,the 2" braid is to help give the end a more natural appearance,being supple it has an easier more natural range of movement at the end,the stiffer monofilament part was designed to give the hook better anti eject qualities.this rig was used where braided hooklinks were the norm,whilst being very supple,the carp could eject them with just as much ease. :D:D hope this is of some help

Hope this helps mate at the end of the day mate like nick said find out what works and try and do something a little bit different from the norm to try and give yourself the upperhand

i still cant work out though , the advantages of the dental floss set up over a hair rig ?

One of the reasons for tying on bait is; if, when using a pop-up, you pierce the bait and mount it on a hair there is a chance it will lose its buoyancy. By tying on the bait you overcome this and the pop-up will stay buoyant for a far greater length of time.