Fancy Knot or Double Knot... Whats The Difference?

dbofblacksouls

During learning and failing to tie Half Blood knots etc... I've began wondering why a normal Double Knot isn't recommended?

I've heard: Scares Fish Off, It's Weak and It's Fiddly as excuses but haven't found any of these to be true?

Many a time I've landed more fish than people with the fancy knots. Many a time their knots have given away, when mine has lasted a long pull against reeds and big fish, and they tie in seconds, unlike fancy loops which get lost in big fingers.

So why the big deal with fancy knots?

Guest Anonymous

when you say 'normal double knot' are you talking about a double shoelace type knot? i hope not!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: this may be ok for landing a small fish but hook a decent carp and you'll be in trouble! it will just come undone or break, trust me when i was very little [about 8] i tryed it on my local pit, it does not work!

palomor knot is very simple and effective, i use it most of the time.

Yeah the typical Shoelace Double Knot has worked a treat for me and friends. If tied tightly with each loop on a decent line. It holds out pretty easy, even when fighting a real battler like Bream or Pike.

I've not tried for Carp, but when I step up I might give the Palomar a try, i've tried it a few times before when my cousin tied it.. although it did break on a fairly average Chub, wasn't impressed. But maybe it was a fluke?

I've looked it up and I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah the typical Shoelace Double Knot has worked a treat for me and friends. If tied tightly with each loop on a decent line. It holds out pretty easy, even when fighting a real battler like Bream or Pike.

I've not tried for Carp, but when I step up I might give the Palomar a try, i've tried it a few times before when my cousin tied it.. although it did break on a fairly average Chub, wasn't impressed. But maybe it was a fluke?

I've looked it up and I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

If you hook a whacker of a carp on that mate, it will just snap you. I can assure you it is not as strong as a palomar or grinner. Im suprised you have all ready landed fish on it.:o

lol, fished for a good few years and not once has the hook/knot ever given away. From Chub, Pike, Perch etc..

Even caught in a tree once on one those most annoying casts, that the line manages to get caught on the handle and backfire... when pulling back the 15lb line snapped after a while of fighting but the knot stayed strong and remained in place, allowing me to eventually tangle it around my hands and rip it out of the tree, taking the bark with it.

I'd say the Double Knot is most underrated, or perhaps I just tie them well?

Not sure what i'm using on the hook its through the eye round the shank 5 times & back through the loop thats formed???which ones that??? its quite strong I know that!! :D For a hair I put the line through the hook, form a loop wrapping the line round the shank 8 times roughly & then go back through the hook, not sure what that ones called either but i've been using it for years & its never let me down so its all good. One i'd add to the list is the double overhand loop ... now I know the name of this one only cos I read about it once & that its great for forming the loop in end of hair rigs :D :D

As Beanz says those three are probably the best three knots to know as the blood knots,Grinners etc are strangulation knots and only yield about two thirds line strength.

Wrong wrong wrong!!!

The grinner knot ( or what some sea anglers call the Uni Knot ) is produces NO contriction. It is a jam knot, rather than a strangle knot.

The Polamar IS a strangle knot, but one of the better ones. It's fine for thick mono, but for fine mono, say less than 8lb, or braid, it's lethal and best stayed away from.

The grinner is the strongest knot for tying hooks etc. It has a knot strength of around 95% if tied correctly.

The very best knot is the Bambini hitch, knot strength of 150 - 200%, but it takes 15 minutes to tie. And you need two sticks and a needle.

The other major point about the grinner is that it's the only knot that is easy to tie in pitch darkness, when your night fishing, it's a must.

To consider even thinking about using a shoe-lace knot seems crazy. However, I'll ggo and to some testing and post back later with results.

Steve

Guest Anonymous

'Bambini hitch knot' I never got taught that at cubs! would like to see a pic,

I use the polamar for 99% of my fishing and have never had my line break at the knot [apart from a couple of trees!] in normal everyday fishing using 12lb+ line you would have to apply a lot of pressure for the knot to break, in my opinion the hook would pull first.

Bambini Hitch

The Americam's call it a Bimini Hitch. Same thing. Tying it by hand is daft. Best to use two sticks in the ground, or two nails in a piece of wood. You can tie it a lot tighter, and "wiggle" it down with a needle around a hook, and I do for conger using braided wire, but for nylon it seems over-kill. Grinner is the best. There is a tucked grinner that can be tied, but also seems a waste of time.

Steve

Wrong wrong wrong!!!

Yes I am aware of that.Don't know why I put the grinner in there,was the early hours and probably thinking about knots and shoelace knots.Anyway thank you for pointing out the error of my ways.

I still believe the palomar is superior to the grinner and I never go below 8lb Double Strength so it's irrelevant for me on mono.I use the palomar on the swivel end of my braided hooklinks and have never had one slip/break yet.

:)

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the picture of the bambini, it looks a little complicated for me, i'm sure its a great knot but I cant see myself knocking one up in the winter whan my hands are cold! i'll stick to my palomor until it lets me down.

Neilscatchin,

I'm sorry if I sounded offensive or you took it to be. I didn't mean it to be but having read it back, it doesn't sound either correct or polite. Again apologies.

I tried a shoe-lace knot with 6lb Diawa Match Winner. It broke at around 3 1/2 pounds three times in a row. Double shoe-lacve knot broke at about 3lb.

knot strength of 55% or so, so not great.

Polamar and Grinner broke at over 5lb with long tabs. The Polamar seems to handle having a shorter tab better. ( with a spring balance "over five" is as close as I could get )

Based on this, I figure the Polamar just as good as Grinner for mono, although I still worry about braid.

Polamar is certainly eaier to tie with cold hands, and a very easy knot to learn. Therefore grovelling apologies to Neil for the words without first testing. Also to adam and othe Polamar fans.

Grinner is as good, and does seem a neater knot. Becuae it's the one I an do with my eyes closed, and was jst as good, I'll stay with that.

Steve