Valdore Lake 4

mrdevon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

youve lost me there moosh :?:?

extract from a command list for training sled dogs (I used to own a couple):

The lead dog is the important dog. The usual starting command is "Mush" or "Moosh"

got to ask, what does the term mean for you? I've not come across it before

Well im back 5 fish in total 35lb mirror in the first 20 mins of being there which the brother in law brought in on my rod :cry: (Had to go speak to other people i invited on trip who turned up late.) ermm also 23lb mirror 13lb mirror 19lb mirror and a 25lb mirror which is my new pb as cant realy class the 35lb as 100% mine. (Still got a nice pic with it tho)

Will do a proper write up when i get time followed by photos of fish and pegs, complex etc.

Tight lines.

Best pegs by far are 14 and 15. Worst pegs are 16 and 9. Dont spod!! you will only drive the fish away. Take some tigernuts, maggots, fake maize and halibut pellets with you as these are the prefered baits. Pegs 12 and 13 can get weedy but the rest of the lake is ok.

Lots of big hungary fish so dont skimp on the bait.

I was there last week and there was a dying grasscarp on the top in lake 2 and bags of dead fish round the corner you will no where i mean when you smell the decaying fish. Coots are a problem theres hundreds of the little [censored]s, also constant runs but upon striking them nothing on the end owner blames sturgeon but 4 eels where foul hooked when anglers where bringing in there rigs to change baits, so i think its the eels giving false indication although the sturgeon dont help. Swims are realy crap when it rains its just a total joke looks like they havent maintained them in months we had to get pulled out by the fellas trackter :cry: . Lakes i think have been made to look big on the net but trust me they aint at all and think they lie about the sizes. Theres an industrial estate rite next to the complex thats realy noisy and massive flood lights light the lakes up, also theres a train track that runs 100 yrds from peg 14 lake 2 and 10 yrds behind peg 20 lake 3 and 5 times a day the train comes steaming through and sounds its horn every time. Facilities are by no means good basic shower and 1toilet for the whole complex. Cafe is ok but shuts for 3 hrs during the day and prices are a joke 20 euros for a marker float/spod. The fellas there are ok to get on with but dont want to help you out that much more interested in your money and fishing there new lake 5 before it opens. I took hemp tigers and frnech maize and baited a massive spot and i mean about 15kg spread out over 5m2 but had nothing at all not even a run. Also used trigger boilies crushed and whole with hemp and only managed 1 fish on this bait 23lb Mirror, but most of my success came from kg1 boilies crushed and whole mixed with 4 and 8mm kg1 pellets i had a 35lb,25lb,19lb,13lb mirrors on this bait. Eight of us went 3 blanked and the other 5 had 14 fish between us.

This was my first time to france and i did manage a pb and caught some nice fish but i would not go back to val dore.

I was there last week and there was a dying grasscarp on the top in lake 2 and bags of dead fish round the corner you will no where i mean when you smell the decaying fish. Coots are a problem theres hundreds of the little [censored]s, also constant runs but upon striking them nothing on the end owner blames sturgeon but 4 eels where foul hooked when anglers where bringing in there rigs to change baits, so i think its the eels giving false indication although the sturgeon dont help. Swims are realy crap when it rains its just a total joke looks like they havent maintained them in months we had to get pulled out by the fellas trackter :cry: . Lakes i think have been made to look big on the net but trust me they aint at all and think they lie about the sizes. Theres an industrial estate rite next to the complex thats realy noisy and massive flood lights light the lakes up, also theres a train track that runs 100 yrds from peg 14 lake 2 and 10 yrds behind peg 20 lake 3 and 5 times a day the train comes steaming through and sounds its horn every time. Facilities are by no means good basic shower and 1toilet for the whole complex. Cafe is ok but shuts for 3 hrs during the day and prices are a joke 20 euros for a marker float/spod. The fellas there are ok to get on with but dont want to help you out that much more interested in your money and fishing there new lake 5 before it opens. I took hemp tigers and frnech maize and baited a massive spot and i mean about 15kg spread out over 5m2 but had nothing at all not even a run. Also used trigger boilies crushed and whole with hemp and only managed 1 fish on this bait 23lb Mirror, but most of my success came from kg1 boilies crushed and whole mixed with 4 and 8mm kg1 pellets i had a 35lb,25lb,19lb,13lb mirrors on this bait. Eight of us went 3 blanked and the other 5 had 14 fish between us.

This was my first time to france and i did manage a pb and caught some nice fish but i would not go back to val dore.

To be fair Dan all of what you say is true, but, Valdore always stock their lakes over winter and they do put alot of fish in. The first time i went there i had the same expeirance as you did with dead fish poping up, when i asked the owners what was going on he said that the lake had just been restocked a couple of weeks ago and it was finding its natural balance. I returned 3 months later and there was not a sign of any sick or dead fish.

Im supprised about the bird life on the lake as most french lake owners shoot the birds.

The swims are "natural" by this i mean they are areas of bank that get used all season and are not maintained at all, i wouldnt say they are crap, just like 1000's of swims around this country.

I am always suspect about the quoted size of the lakes at Valdore, the only one i think is close is lake 1.

Again, im supprised that you found the industrial site to be noisy, i have been there 5 times and didnt really notice it at all.

The train track is between lakes 1, 2, 3 and 4,5. The closes swims are as you say swims 17 and 20 on lake 3. The train only runs 5 or 6 times a day and they are small urban 2 car shuttles which are gone in a flash but can be a pain when they rush past.

Ive always moaned to the owners about the facilities on the site, 2 toilets and a shower for 35 swims aint enough, but they are there and functional.

The cafe is just that, a cafe. It is not an onsite lodge for the use of anglers only and yes the prices of the tackle and bait are a joke and would deffo not buy any of it from there. But the food aint bad unless it has gone up.

As for the guys who are there, i found them to be quite helpful if you ask them and they will come round to your swim if you want them to. But you are right, all they are interested in is your money.

As for the fishing, i dont think you can blame the complex for the results you had, no one can guarentee a hauling session.

As you know Dan, i like Valdore and will continue to go back there for the time being. Its cheap, close and has some very big fish in all the lakes

Thanks for info Dan :wink: Pellet head how tough is peg 16 :wink:

Hi Sniffer, ive never fished peg 16 but have fished 15 twice in the past. peg 16 shares control of the "no fishing end" of lake 2 with peg 9, by that i mean there are no swims along the bottom bank so 16 and 9 have all the margin. you say you and a mate are in there, well its a single swim so it will be tight for two fishing it mate. If there is alot of disturbance on the rest of the lake, like spodding etc, i have found that the fish move to the bottom end and sit over a big silt/bloodworm bed so this could work in your favour :wink: .

Dont get me wrong, 16 does produce fish and usually some bigger fish but dont expect runs every hour!!.

My advice would be to get ya mate moved out to share another swim and keep yourself in there and stay quiet, tell everyone else to spod like mad and let them drive the fish down to you 8) . Then just feed small bags or little beds of bait in the areas you see them bubbling.

As for the bait boat, yes it will help you but you dont need one. You can walk along the bottom bank and catapult your baits out to your marker quite easily butyou may need it for smaller bait like pellet and partiblend.

:) Cheers Pellethead thats a great help thanks. :) Iv heard lots of good and bad things about Valdore, for the money you pay to fish it's cheap as chips and people do seem to come away with a few decent fish. Im not on peg 16 my mate who booked the trip got mixed up, me and other mate are on peg 13. Have you got the distance between each peg roughly sorry to be a pain :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, some mixed reviews about valdore here! ive just booked with my cousin to fish lake 3 peg 20 for a runs session in october time, anyone fished lake 3 / this particular peg, any info would be much appreciated - how far is the super U? looks like we may be needing a few strong drinks to nod off lol!

cheers

Hi, some mixed reviews about valdore here! ive just booked with my cousin to fish lake 3 peg 20 for a runs session in october time, anyone fished lake 3 / this particular peg, any info would be much appreciated - how far is the super U? looks like we may be needing a few strong drinks to nod off lol!

cheers

IMO peg 20 is the best peg on lake 3. loads of water and a good marginal line to fish. The trains and noise are not that bad mate and you soon get use to them. The superU is about a 10 min drive down the road and they stock everthing you would expect to find in Tesco over here.

First time on this Carp forum, so a big hello to everyone reading this thread.

I need some advise please.

Used to fish every other weekend - got married, have kids, moved, the story, sorry excuses go on. So it has been 2 years since the gear has been out.

I have booked lake 4 (swims 23 – 24 – 25 – 26) 1st week in June for a week at Val Dore as a 60th birthday surprise for my dad who is a keen carper but has never fished abroad. This is where I need you to help me. My main concern is bait, do I take bait with us or as suggested by the lake owners "you can buy it here - it's cheaper". There must be a general method to get good results to fish this lake. I have a month to go and do not want to leave it to last minute. Thanks for your advice in advance

matt

First time on this Carp forum, so a big hello to everyone reading this thread.

I need some advise please.

Used to fish every other weekend - got married, have kids, moved, the story, sorry excuses go on. So it has been 2 years since the gear has been out.

I have booked lake 4 (swims 23 – 24 – 25 – 26) 1st week in June for a week at Val Dore as a 60th birthday surprise for my dad who is a keen carper but has never fished abroad. This is where I need you to help me. My main concern is bait, do I take bait with us or as suggested by the lake owners "you can buy it here - it's cheaper". There must be a general method to get good results to fish this lake. I have a month to go and do not want to leave it to last minute. Thanks for your advice in advance

matt

Matt, ive fished valdore loads of times so take my advice.... Take your bait with you. The bait they supply is limited and over priced for what it is. You dont needs kilo's of boilies to fish valdore, just a load of maize and pellet and some tigers and a few boilies.

thanks for the swift response. There are 4 of us going and I am having to supply bait for the 7 days. How much (kilo) will I need? sorry to be a pain asking such direct questions, but this will probably be the last time I can take my dad due to ill health and I want to make sure he catches a huge lump.

I brought 20 kilos of activ-8 on the last trip (2005) in the UK. Could you recommend any boillies and partical blends?

Cheers mate

I fished peg 20 lake 3 and my mates booked out all lake 4 my report is above. Some may say its unfair but its my honest oppinion of the place i caught a 35lb mirror so have no reason to be bitter.

My advice would be to take ur own bait mate.

Fish the right hand side bank on peg 20 about 3ft off.

Heres a tip take ur own becon coz theirs is crap. Kronenbourg 9 euro crate of 24 :wink:

Good look Dan