D-Rig

alexlovesfishing123

They're dead easy to tie mate.

You tie a rig up with a standard knotless knot but don't put the hair loop on it just leave the tag end straight. When you've done your knotless knot all you do is grab the tag that would be the hair and thread a rig ring onto it , then pass it back through the eye of the hook towards the point and carefully light it with a flame, you can then blow it out and create a blob where it has melted by pressing on it with your lighter and there you go job done. :D

Be careful when lighting the tag as the flame could burn the hook link and ruin it. :cry:

I found that coated braids and thick nylons / Fluorocarbons work best. :wink:

Good luck , Seleb.

If you struggle tieing on your bait i found the best way to do it was to get about 6 inches of bait floss and create a loop with it, then make a smaller loop on the side of the bigger loop ( if that makes sense ), then pass one end of the bait floss through the smaller loop twice and tighten the loop down thus creating a slip knot. :wink:

It's basically a 2 turn water knot on the bigger loop. It's dead easy to do but really hard to expalin :evil:

Good luck , Seleb.

I might be mistaken or really stupid, :roll::?

But I'm certain that in the Rigs Sticky at the top of the Rig Tying section has a pic of a D-rig tied with Coated Braid. Which means it wasn't that far to search!

Not that I'm 100% certain or anything, its just I remember taking that Rig off my rods after a session and putting the pics on the forum, exactly as I took it off the rod, complete with the lead wire wrapped around the Braid

Coated Braid D-rig

CoatedBraidD-Rigforpop-ups.jpg

Easy way to tie your bait on:

Using Mono, Hair Braid or Dental Floss for the hair create a loop, then tie a Uni Knot in the hair length keeping the loop for your bait and pull tight. Attach your bait into the Loop that you have created and then attach to the ring.

Sorry its easier than the overhand or water knot of Selebs. There is absolutely no way that the bait can pull free from the loop unless you loosen it.

i did see that, however it does not say how to tie it.

Thanks Alex

No, but from the pic it looks pretty self-explanatory.

Hook Knotless knotted on, rig ring on tag and "hair" tag end back through the eye of the hook.

Got a feeling from looking at that pic I set it up as a Snowman, with a bottom bait on the hook end and then a tied on pop-up above it.

ok, stupid question

Whats the benifits of this to a standard loop on the end, if your going to tie on something anyway whay not use the usual setup

I believe the theory was that when the Carp blew the bait out it slid up the ring towards the eye of the hook and the hook dropped into the fishes lip. First forerunner of the Blowback rigs that have been heavily publicised recently.

It receives a decent breakdown in Rod Hutchinson's The Carp Strikes Back and also Tim Paisley's To Catch a Carp.

I've debated the merits of it against the Blowback rigs with Tubing on the hookshank in the past.

With a D-rig if the bait is blown out it can reset itself, yet with tubing you have an indication of your rig being sussed.

The D-rig can be used for bottom baits as well as pop-ups, and it does work, YES I HAVE tried it and caught fish on it.

ok, stupid question

Whats the benifits of this to a standard loop on the end, if your going to tie on something anyway whay not use the usual setup

I believe the theory was that when the Carp blew the bait out it slid up the ring towards the eye of the hook and the hook dropped into the fishes lip. First forerunner of the Blowback rigs that have been heavily publicised recently.

It receives a decent breakdown in Rod Hutchinson's The Carp Strikes Back and also Tim Paisley's To Catch a Carp.

I've debated the merits of it against the Blowback rigs with Tubing on the hookshank in the past.

With a D-rig if the bait is blown out it can reset itself, yet with tubing you have an indication of your rig being sussed.

The D-rig can be used for bottom baits as well as pop-ups, and it does work, YES I HAVE tried it and caught fish on it.

Let me see if i've got this right, as i need to visualise things cause im awkward and fussy;

When the Bait is blown out, the ring is pushed back against the eye of hte hook, this would assist in pushing the hook at a 90 degree angle, would it not, causing the hook to create a larger surface area and increase the chances of it catching the lip.

Am i right?

ok, stupid question

Let me see if i've got this right, as i need to visualise things cause im awkward and fussy;

When the Bait is blown out, the ring is pushed back against the eye of hte hook, this would assist in pushing the hook at a 90 degree angle, would it not, causing the hook to create a larger surface area and increase the chances of it catching the lip.

Am i right?

Sounds right, you've got me playing with rigs in my hand now trying to simulate how it works.

The bait is blown back up the loop towards the eye. As it gets to the end of the loop (near the eye or extension back up the hooklink), the bait will drop down, thus pulling the eye end down and the hook will drop into the lip or cheek (dependant on the water "jet" from the Carp).

The D-rig and the Sliding Hair rigs were the next step on from the standard Hair rig, and came about at the same time on Savay; Roger Smith with the D-Rig and Rod Hutchinson with the Sliding Hair.

Both were in response to the Carp getting wary of the standard hair!

That reminds me... Someone posted a picture with lots of different hookpoints at an extreme close up pic, so you could see which was the sharpest, does anyone still have it? I've done a search but I couldn't find it anywhere? Cheers

i used to have it but can't find it now :(

• 1 month later...
That reminds me... Someone posted a picture with lots of different hookpoints at an extreme close up pic, so you could see which was the sharpest, does anyone still have it? I've done a search but I couldn't find it anywhere? Cheers

i used to have it but can't find it now :(

I have myself a lovely 100mm macro lens, i'll see what kind of results i can get. Won't go buying loads of packs of hooks unless i can get good shots of them first