chod rig variation ?

martinpenwold

i cannot (dont anyway but thats another story) use leadcore on my new water and was wondering if instead of putting your stiff link pop up on to your leadcore you could do it straight onto your mainline or onto some safe zone tubing which is what i have done. I have weighted it down with putty and put my beads on etc. Will this work ? Has anyone used similar rig ?

lead---putty---putty---bead--hook link--bead---putty---putty---mainline

[------------------------tubing on mainline---------------------]

Hope you like my diagram !! Will the tubing not slip up the line on the cast or if i pick up a fish ?

Should i attach it via a swivel so tubing cannot slip or let it have some play ?

I am new to this rig so am after advice and opinoins ?

Lake has alot of silt and low level debry and 1inch wed on the bottom so i think this rig will work if i can get it spot on......

First question, do you have to use a SILT Rig, (Its proper name)? For weed/silt that thin it may not prove an advantage. It also means that you have to have a Tight Line running through the swim to your end Tackle.

Yes the Tubing can slip up the Line at times if the fish goes through a snag and it is forced free. Putty can/may trap the Beads on the line, jamming the beads in place, which may make the rig a Death Rig. Never ever attach a swivel above the tubing for the same reason.

The helicopter set-ups also may weaken the line as you are playing the fish at an angle against the line.

Another point is that Bomb-on the-end of the line set-ups can give minimal indications. Far better in many cases to use a Standard Pendant (Lead clip/running lead) set-up, and a pop-up rig at the end. Indeed I would avoid totally Bomb on the end of the line set-ups if there are any snags. The Fish can run too far before you get any indication at the rod end.

If you look at the Sticky at the top of the section with Rigs, Lead set-ups etc, the Weedy Water Rig and Lead set-up can actually be used in Silty Waters as well.

There is another way that you could present a " choddie " on mainline without the need for tubing of any kind.

If you thread a rubber float stop onto the line , then a rubber bead with a decent sized bore , then your rig , then another bead , another float stop and finally attach your lead.

You don't have to put the putty on the mainline to counter balance the pop up. All you need to do is mould some putty around the swivel on the rig until it sinks, making sure that the swivel can still spin easily. In theory this could probably be better than lead core as you could balance the pop up instead of it being pinned to the lake bed by leadcore.

If you use a heavy ( in weight ) mainline it should be fine and make sure that you give everything time to settle . If the situation is right maybe use a light backlead to pin things down further up the mainline above the rig.

What ever you do don't put any putty above the float stop as it could stop the rig working safely.

If you do want to use tubing , to stop it slipping up the line on the cast you can either heat shrink it onto the swivel on you lead or use some silicone fitted tightly over the tubing and you lead swivel as well. You can get Tungsten impregnated tubing so you won't have to put all that putty up it either.

Good luck, Seleb.

So i take it the beads are meant to be able to slide up and down the line, Which the putty would stop it doing ?

The rig is only a theory variaton on the chod and not an in current use DEATH RIG !!!!! I would not use a rig without asking for advice first due to not knowing the ins and outs as it were of the rig in question which is why im asking.

The rigs im try to emulate without the leadcore are fantasticly successful and used by some amazingly talented anglers. The lead at the end is an integeral part of that rig and is superb on lakes with bottom conditions similar to the one i will be fishing which is why i am so keen to use it. There are other rig options but they too use leadcore which im looking to subsitute/get around without losing the effectivness of the rig.

So i take it the beads are meant to be able to slide up and down the line, Which the putty would stop it doing ?

The rig is only a theory variaton on the chod and not an in current use DEATH RIG !!!!! I would not use a rig without asking for advice first due to not knowing the ins and outs as it were of the rig in question which is why im asking.

The rigs im try to emulate without the leadcore are fantasticly successful and used by some amazingly talented anglers. The lead at the end is an integeral part of that rig and is superb on lakes with bottom conditions similar to the one i will be fishing which is why i am so keen to use it. There are other rig options but they too use leadcore which im looking to subsitute/get around without losing the effectivness of the rig.

Calm down! :roll:

I highlighted the fact so that you and others don't turn it into a Death Rig.

Preventing the beads from sliding would/could create that possibility.

I questioned the need for a Silt set-up, nothing you have said above gives me the idea that its still 100% required. The Silt set-up, bomb on the end of the line was designed for where the hooklinkwas required to be held above the Silt, where the Lead, and some of the Line would be dragged into the silty bottom. From your post it seems that with an inch of leaf mould and weed a basic Pop-up on a pendant set-up would be all that is required. Indeed I also said it could or may improve your bite indication.

Also have read your next post and quoted it, those "amazingly talented anglers", Would that be from magazines? Sorry, In which case take it with a pinch of salt.

The Helicopter/Silt rig variations are not the be all and end all of fishing.

Again Helicopter and Silt set-ups are the Current FASHION. In many cases anglers jump to them because they can't be bothered to think about other Safer and in many cases better options.

A Running lead with a Slack line does not need Leadcore, and you can get away with using the Putty or Flying Backlead to pin the Line down.

• 2 years later...

hi mate,

i use the chod rig alot nowadays and has become a vital part of my fishing. however i do not genrally use it on leadcore the reasons being: 1) had no leadcore at the time

2)leadcore can arguabily be dangerouse

3)it sticks out like a saw thumb (in my opinion)

And the list goes on...

I now use amnesia as a leader instead of leadcore, this will make my rig less visable and give me an "edge" over the others

i attach the leader the same as you would leadcore (via loop) Although the rig does tend to be less notecable it can need aditional weight due to the lite amnesia leader insted of the heavy leadcore leader!

I hope this helps, feel free to ask me any futher questions

Tight lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I'm not a fan of leadcore, so avoid using it, but am a fan of the chod rig. I've used it with some success in the last year with a set up pretty much as described by Seleb above - ie float stops (or Korda sinkers) on mainline stopping rubber beads with the hooklink between them and putty on the swivel.

The stops secure the beads sufficiently firmly, allowing the hooklink whatever slide distance you set them for (typically 4-5 inches for me) yet will slide easily under minimal pressure. I can't see any reason to add rig tubing to this - it has never tangled on me - and doing so seems an unneccesary complication, not to mention a potential hazard if used with this set up.

• 1 month later...

Is this any use?

A leadcore free version:

A piece of rigid tubing a soft rubber bead or two (if you want the sliding version), tail rubber ring swivel and quicklink style clip for the lead.

Helicopterrigwithtubing.jpg

Helicopterrigwithtubing001.jpg

The pics and ideas are ages old, so they are NOT my current hook patterns.

Surely a safezone leader from korda would be a suitable replacement. I am not 100% sure so dont slate me lol.

Providing you make sure the beads are big enough so they pass over the weighted bits. I also agree with salokcinnodrog with the fashion alot of people follow it.

i use mine on a fluro leader, just use the atomic beads that have mini bore holes, these hold tigth enough but move when needed and go over the leader knot, i then use a large swivel, never use it travellig though (just the back bead) as this causes a loop off the bottom. clap it in place with 2 beads and hold the lead down on the tight line and keep it tight while the line settles then just slacke off a couple of feet so it all sits right.

Besides chod rig fishing is cheating, its not real fishing in my book and is the easy option that gives every angler the chance of catching with the least work accutally carping. :D:D