welham lake leicester nene valley

jurrasic

• 4 months later...

Frisby is good fishing had a few nice fish out-up to 28, but the head count is about 150 Carp so finding em is the key!

Time spent with a marker and then clipping up and pacing out on the bank when you find a feature is time well spent: good value at less than £30 for a year!!!

Is this Tur Langton'ish water day ticket?

If it has already been said either way sorry i missed it!

• 3 months later...
One bloke had a couple on zig rigs in the winter too :wink:

Courtney

thanks man, i was going through my filing system i call my brain and this quote stuck out at me from when i was reading this last week.

I just did a 24hr at the weekend and after 22hrs of not a sniff i remebered/decided to bang on a zig, so i did. As i was packing away my first rod my alarm screamed on the 2nd rod. Boom.. 14lb Mirror on the bank. This was the only fish of the weekend for my group and walking down the bank which was full there hadn't been too many fish landed at all on any swim.

Was a nice session though so prob heading back this weekend try a different swim.

• 8 months later...
I'm pretty sure you're talking about the lake which Mick Cooper owns? About 6 acres, an island, the field bank which is pretty open and the snaggy bank on the opposite corner.

I've fished there a few times in the winter, mainly just for pike which i've had a few out. Even though i have put a carp rod out on a few occasions whilst piking, i've only had two singles :lol:

Seeing as it's shallow it normally fishes well through the winter in any mild periods you get, and i've spoken to a few people who have had quite a few out in 24 hours fishing. There seems to be alot of fish around the low doubles mark which provide some action atleast, and also a decent stamp of fish making it towards 20. I think the lake record is high 20s possible a 30, although the biggest fish i have seen proof of is a 26lb common. According to Mick (balliff) it had a little bit of a problem with otters coming over from the river which runs in a field close to the lake, that was about 3 years ago and several of the big fish were killed.

You should be able to get some action all around the lake really, with many of the fish from the field bank coming from marks mainly in open water. If you are will do go a little more extreme though the far bank is also worth ago, and is very often neglected, apart from the numptioes you get casting all the way accross past the island (which is banned on the rules)

I know in the furthest corner from the car park there used to be a large fallen tree where quite a few fish got caught, and i seem to remember alot more snags all along the far bank which must be worth a try.

The most popular swim on the lake seems to be the one directly after the car park, on your right as you climb over the style into the field bank. This was almost always occupied when i've been and i've seen a few fish coming from off the edge of where the lillies normally are in summer. The swim with access to the island on the opposite side from the car park seems to do well aswell, and fishing the channel between the island and the bank has to be worth a shot.

Baitwise i'm not sure what doing well now, although there were a few fish being caught on particles and richworth tutti when i got talking to some of the carpers when lure fishing. One bloke had a couple on zig rigs in the winter too :wink:

If i was you then i'd definately use the car park, as the lay bys around the lake look dodgey :?

Sorry tony can't remember the exact location as it was about two years ago when i last went, and was taken by a bloke i go piking with.

It may also be worth try a search on a few other forums as i bete there will be loads of info about. As i'm not too sure how it's fished in the past year.

Good luck

Courtney

thats the guy that owns it i spoke 2 him 2day im fishing the lake sat n sat nite its throw kibworth go past the old bmw garage its now a furniture place n wen u get 2 the bridge ther is a left turn go down the country lane and its of ya left but drive slow or u will go straight past it