What bait

Looking for a change in bait. Tbh I've not got total confidence with any bait I use. I usually just grab a bucket or 2 of whatever I fancy out of the shed.

I don't struggle to catch with what I use(except the venue I got season ticket for lol). Think I'd just like to go to one boilie with matching pop-ups.

I keep finding myself on this site.

https://advancedhookbaits.co.uk/

What bait do you all have faith in.

2 hours ago, mrmud said:

I've done okay on the manilla active. It helped me break my pb twice in a week on a difficult water but never had much luck with the pop-ups or wafters

The only bait i use/did use, got my carp pb from park lake and biggest fish (sturgeon) in another lake.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Higham1987 said:

The only bait i use/did use, got my carp pb from park lake and biggest fish (sturgeon) in another lake.

How long was you on the manilla fella.

I'd love to catch a sturgeon.

Edited by mrmud

Mainly manilla but I did have some Sticky Visuals.

Screenshot_20230908_101706_Gallery.thumb.jpg.618a1908338b7da31e643d60525386b9.jpg

Manilla Chops, Crumb, Few Wholes, Hemp, Manilla Stik Mix Dust and Manilla Glug/liquid. 

IMG-20221111-WA0016.thumb.jpeg.0c8ffa4c6be0864d6afe929d63ae11fd.jpeg

Did have some Krill for 1 other lake but never panned out...

Screenshot_20220321_104035.thumb.jpg.ae990c9ed63e5c4e1dbb607d16489522.jpg

Also Had some Munch Baits Bio Marine for another lake campaign, but that didn't take off either (Sopd all My Gear since)

Screenshot_20240526_054134_Gallery.thumb.jpg.074286a3f808dc3ce7d6a30f641e99fb.jpg

@Higham1987 I have a few pots of they're baits, mainly waters

buchuberry wafter(no luck), bloodworm wafter, krill active wafter, krill pop-up, manilla pop-ups, wafter and spray, signatures pop-ups. 

I used outlaw pro the most. Either natural (buttery smell) or squid & octopus.

If I can I like to find out what the local tackle shops are selling and then buy something totally different so I'm not on the same baits as everyone else on the lake.

Is that your secret ingredients in the blue drum lol

Your bait approach might need to change depending on your fishing.

If you are fishing various waters, then 'attractor' baits might be the best option, but on 'easy' waters where you fish regularly it can be an option.

By attractor baits, pellets, groundbaits, spod mix, and the boilies and pop-ups.

Not every water responds to the same method.

Then you have one water you are fishing as a campaign where you are concentrating on catching regularly, getting the fish to concentrate on one bait. This method is slipping out of favour as real food source baits seem to be becoming fewer.

At one point you had Trigga, Activ8, Grange CSL, Monster Squid, Live System, BFM amongst others.

My fishing I tend to concentrate on one water, and sort of mix the two approaches of particles/groundbait and food source, and for years I have stuck with this, except on Brackens Pool which was boilie only; mostly because of size, waters ranging from 40 to 500 acres.

1 hour ago, mrmud said:

@Higham1987 I have a few pots of they're baits, mainly waters

buchuberry wafter(no luck), bloodworm wafter, krill active wafter, krill pop-up, manilla pop-ups, wafter and spray, signatures pop-ups. 

I used outlaw pro the most. Either natural (buttery smell) or squid & octopus.

If I can I like to find out what the local tackle shops are selling and then buy something totally different so I'm not on the same baits as everyone else on the lake.

Is that your secret ingredients in the blue drum lol

Tricky Baits No.1 for me.

Blue Drum are Aller Aqua 8m for feeding 

@salokcinnodrog I fish attractor style at most venues I fish using pellets, crush, homemade method mix ect but the venue I've got a season ticket so spend most my fishing days is known locally as a very hard water. Some people are have never had a carp out of there. I've never seen another fish be caught whilst I've been on the water but the boys lucky enough to have night tickets say they have to odd 1 or 2.

I've only managed 3 fish all year(nice fish TBF). I have swapped my baiting style as to try and avoid bream so only use 22 & 24 boilies and I think like you say if I can find a good food source boilie then I might start pulling a few more out more regularly.

I've stopped with the pre-baiting as every time I turn up there's always someone in the swim I wanted to fish. Don't help I can't get a night ticket until I move up the list

2 hours ago, mrmud said:

I've stopped with the pre-baiting as every time I turn up there's always someone in the swim I wanted to fish. Don't help I can't get a night ticket until I move up the list

Don't think of prebaiting as a one swim tactic if you are on a food bait. The bait should be thought of as a food and the carp used to finding it anywhere.

On Virginia Lake at Earith I prebaited Trigga putting in around a kilo of boilies as I left in a few spots, and knew that I could catch from any swim I went into next time.

On Brackens, despite there being a no catapult or throwing stick rule in place, every boilie had to go in via a PVA stringer or mesh bag, I would cast in probably 100 boilies as I left. Again whichever swim I went into I knew I could catch.

Again Taverham I was putting in the same bait, (along with probably 5 other anglers), so wherever I ended up I knew they liked the bait.

On my current lake any prebaiting is to keep spots weed free, again, I'm leaving after putting in a kilo of food source boilies, but I have caught from various swims. 

I don't have any worries about getting back into the same swim every time.

If someone is in the swim I will go somewhere else.

Knowing the lake helps, I know most of the features, and I had the same on Taverham, Brackens and the South lagoon and Earith, with hand drawn or Google maps of the features.

I worry about the fishmeal not being as effective in the colder months.

Old wives tail mate, they will still eat fishmeal in the winter the problems you can get is becuase the water is colder and there metabolic rate has slowed down, if they chow down on a heavy protein bait it basically can take them alot longer to digest so they wont be as inclined to eat again for several days maybe longer, also combine that with there requirements change when the water is colder so they are looking for fast hits of more energy based/easy digestable baits like a Manilla or Live system rather than a complete food source.

42 minutes ago, mrmud said:

Can barely even find a mention of this venue online. Did manage to find some historical stuff but it's changed so much since then.

Yeast would be the better all year bait then. I worry about the fishmeal not being as effective in the colder months.

2 minutes ago, hutch said:

Old wives tail mate, they will still eat fishmeal in the winter the problems you can get is becuase the water is colder and there metabolic rate has slowed down, if they chow down on a heavy protein bait it basically can take them alot longer to digest so they wont be as inclined to eat again for several days maybe longer, also combine that with there requirements change when the water is colder so they are looking for fast hits of more energy based/easy digestable baits like a Manilla or Live system rather than a complete food source.

As @hutch says fishmeals are still viable baits and digestion of any bait slows down, especially baits with high fat levels.

Carp also usually eat less in winter than in summer because of that. In summer you might fill in a kilo of boilies, and know in 20minutes, a single fish has eaten them all. In winter 4 or 5 baits might be enough to fill them up.

In any situation, nutritionally, the first requirement is for energy. Energy is needed for digestion, for movement, everything. While fats are an energy source, they are not so easily digested and utilised as carbohydrates (basically in simple terms, sugars). Protein is also an energy source (!), but why use protein for that when it is better utilised for growth, tissue repair?

The original fishmeal baits were high in fats and oils, which was difficult to digest in winter. Something like  50% or more fishmeal and semolina. Protein, fat and carbohydrate but too heavy in fats.

Then came fishmeals and fishmeal baits with lower fat concentrations, more useable energy sources, and a better winter profile.

I caught as many fish in winter with the original Trigga as I did in summer, including at the time probably the largest common in the lake in February.

I have a funny feeling, in fact without checking I'm pretty positive, Manilla and Live System both contain yeast, and make good baits for all year round use.