Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I fish for carp in the USA (using UK-Style gear/rigs/bait/tactics/etc..). Wondering if anyone can offer suggestions on how to avoid (stop) turtles of any kind, from ruining my sessions? 

I only started focusing on carp last year, so I still have much to learn, and I have tried fake corn and tiger nuts (soaked in hot sauce), but that’s not working this season for some reason.

Any help would be greatly appreciated👍

Thanks so much

- Joe

Posted

Sorry Joe we dont have to deal with them here in the UK - very rare, pet escapees.

There is a small number on my current lake (terrapins) but they dont seem to cause any problems and live in one small part of the lake.  I had 2 rods right by their tree snag overnight a few weeks ago and they didnt nibble the baits or anything, but then I didnt put any free bait offerings out so maybe they just didnt see my hookbaits to eat them?

  • 2 years later...
Posted (edited)

Hey!

Another American angler here. Old thread but I thought I would reply in case it helps someone. 

I am in the very bottom of America, and turtles in isolation are incredibly cool animals.

However, in fishing context, I have become convinced they are relentless hell beasts that serve satan.
That being said, there are some things you can do to slow them down. Do not use any marine proteins or any proteins at all for that matter. For flavors only use fruit,sweet things like caramel etc and grains. I use fermented feed corn with oats as a pack bait. I use fake sinking corn as the hook bait, as when they do find it they can’t chew it apart. I also use flavored tiger nuts I make (banana,anise,chili). They can crunch them but usually leave them alone. 

Good luck

Edited by Ryan Westbrook
A word

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...