Rigs for ex sand & Gravel pit

rossy1974

Hi all going to goto Baden Hall soon for a couple of trips, ive asked the owners how the new Carp pond is made up of and they replied "Hi the carp lake is an ex sand and gravel pit so the bottom is gravelly and weedy".

Just asking your advice on rigs, im going to make my own, what rigs would you advise and what materials would be best. Also what size hook would you recommend, fox or Korda?

cheers guys.

http://www.badenhall.com/New%20Pools.htm

If you are fishing on the clean, hard gravel then go for a shortish combi link of coated braid about 4-5 inches long (perhaps even shorter depending on what baits you are using). If you fish particles over spod on gravel i sometimes use hooklinks down to 3 inches in length.

Hook wise then match up your hook with the size of bait you are using. If you are using 10-14 mm boilies or particles such as a single grain of maize etc then a size 10 will suffice. 15-18 mm boilies a size 8 and 20mm boilies a size 6.

This is my rule of thumb but everyone will have their own.

what colour would i use for hooklink on this mate? also how would i go about finding clean areas :oops:

If the fish are under pressure and know what anglers rigs are then try and camoflague your end tackle to the best of your ability. Perhaps use a brown coloured hooklink like the ESP Stripteaze, Korda Hybrid, Sufix Superskin or Camo Skin etc, etc, etc. (The list goes on TBH). You could even make a combi link from flourocarbon and braid.

But it all depends on what you have confidence in.

To find the clean gravel areas use your marker rod or just have a lead about and look for the tell tale tap, tap, tap, tapping on your rod tip.

PS, im fishing a lake with the same bottom make up as you at the moment and today before i left i actually got a sample of sand from the margins of my swim and im actually gonna coat the leads with it once its dried out. It may not make a difference but any edge i can do to help me catch will increase my confidence.