what hook link to use...

t2kf4

I am still new to this game and am trying to catch up fast by reading the posts here and books i have bought. One thing that is still confusing me is some of the terminology around line used in rigs.

- Amnesia - is thismemory free monofilament line? Is this a brand produced by a certain company. or do Fox Korda Drennan etc all make their own versions?

- Fluro Carbon - As above. what is this and is a brand or a type made by all manufacturers.

I have been using Fox Reflex and an ESP braid for my hooklinks but someone said here that no one was using uncoated braids these days???

all depends on what kind of water you are fishing, uncoated braids still and always will have there place in fishing regardless of some of the opinions on here (lots of two minute wonders and instant terry hearns) wouldnt advise overcomplicating your rigs just for the hell of it. best advice would be to buy a few spools of different types of hooklength and have a play with rigs in a fish tank to work out what suits your needs best on your water :wink:

cheers goblin.

i have been messing about with the braids i have in the washing up bowl to see how they look/behave. would like to add coated braids and monofilaments to my tackle box. can any body suggest what i should buy.

also can anyone tell me about the 2 above? are they brands or types?

T

I still use coated braids for the majority of my fishing only changing to fluoro/mono perhaps during the winter when scaling down.To be homest although it's not the "in" thing I use the combi rig perhaps 95% of the time with about 10 cm of uncoated braid out of the end of the shrink tubing which I add to turn the hook and I've had 1 30 and 3 twenties in the last month alone.

Coated braids I favour Sufix but Kryston/ESP are also popular.

Amnesia is a brand on it's own whereas Fluorocarbon is a product so ESP's fluoro is called Ghost,Korda's is called IQ and Fox's is called Illusion.

cheers mate.. another carping mystery explained. Only 483,000 to go.

:lol:

Only 483,000 :? , thought there were more than that :lol::lol:

I have a large selection of hooklink materials, Braids, Fluorocarbons, Coated Braids, Mono's. All have their place in my fishing, although for the majority of the time I use Braids and Coated Braids from Kryston.

The best thing I can suggest is that you buy some of the various hooklink materials and experiment to see what works for you. Because of the cost it pay pay to get various materials sharing with a friend and then play around trying them between the 2 (or More) of you.