Christmas Presents

Golden Paws

It's that time of the year when the family ask what you want for Christmas and you haven't got a clue!

Sometimes it's not an obvious fishing item that really delivers, who would have thought that a fancy saucepan by Ridge Monkey would have scooped "Product of the Year" in the Carp comics several years ago.

I recently bought a sleeping mat to go on my bedchair and it's been a revelation. For years I was never really comfy and would fidget all night. They also help to retain heat lost from under the bed by trapping that extra bit of warmth that is normally lost.

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/mountain-equipment-helium-3-8-warm-zone-sleeping-mat-D2424300.html%3Fchannable=00ff736964003230343434325f393886&colour=98&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shopping?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Best Sellers £4k High Priority tROAS-BOFU-PLA &cq_plac=&cq_net=g&cq_pos=&cq_med=pla&cq_plt=gp&gclid=CjwKCAjw2bmLBhBREiwAZ6ugo1tI2svykrueGTl9pSAkGFrC3Ea3oc2VYG1JFl9bLe7XMK5ya00rmBoCOR0QAvD_BwE

I got one of these that was recommended on another fishing Site and would endorse it. To get the best out of them, leave the air valve open and let it inflate naturally and then just give it a couple of puffs. You don't want it hard as this makes it uncomfortable. At the end of a session, open the valve, roll it up and shut the valve again and it doesn't hinder shutting the bed with the mat left in place. On some extreme camping websites they recommend inflating with a small pump as your breathe contains water vapour that could result in cooling but I think that's a bit hypothetical.

As for me, I bought a Mitchell Avospod reel about 7 years ago based on a Carpology review. It's a standing joke that Carpology never give a bad review and this was certainly the case. It sounds like a coffee grinder and the spool goes so far forward it exposes the under carriage and several times recently it's picked up the line and sheared it off. At £35, I shouldn't really complain as did the job for a while. I'm hoping Father Christmas brings me a Shimano XTD spod reel this year.