Cheap river prebait?

Thelifeofwalker

Got a friend who's just bought a house with some land that backs onto the river Avon. Starting to think ahead to spring/summer and having a couple of sessions down there. Figure to bring the carp into the area a decent prebait session is needed but just wondering about cheapish prebait options to pad out the boilies I'd be looking at for hookbait. Thinking frozen sweetcorn but what else could be used for sustained baiting of the area

Edited by Thelifeofwalker

Maize is definitely good and cheap but it is very hard and needs cooking well before use. I normally cover it with boiling water, leave it for 2 days and then give it a good boil for at least 30 minutes. Maize is also a bit bland so I add molasses or corn steep liquor to it once it has been drained.

If you are using boilies, they will roll out of the swim if there is any appreciable current, I would halve or quarter them to make them more liable to get trapped between the gravel.

Vitalin is also good as a groundbait which you can buy as a dog food in large sacks. Add boiling water to make a stodge and add hemp or corn or whatever you want and ball it in and it will break down slowly on the bottom.