12lb hair rigs?

boro1990

have you tryed tieing rigs they r very hard i can only do certain knots never mind tieing riggs

Practise makes perfect. And Courtz is right. You'll save yourself alot of money by making your own rigs. There's plenty of guidence on this site on rig tying. Have a look, and give it a go. You may be supprised how simple some are.

:wink:

mike do you know if i just use strong line instead would this be as good as braid i jst seem to mess up with braid

You can tie the knotless knot with any hooklength material, so long as you can pass it twice through the eye of the hook. The secret to tying it is to keep everything tight.

Braid's advantage is that it's supple, and will allow the hook to move more freely.

Mono (Nylon) and Flurocarbon are stiffer and can be used to turn the hook into the fishes mouth, and are harder to see underwater (in the case of flurocarbon anyway.)

As for breaking stain, i generally use a 20lb braid and either 12lb or 15lb mono/flurocarbon. But i will change this depending on the fishing situation.

But learn that knot :!: Invaluable skill to learn. :wink:

Yes you can land 20lb Carp on 12lb line. Work out that the breaking strain can take approximately 4 times its own strength underwater, so in theory you could land a 48lb Carp on that 12lb line. In practise and with experience you will discover that you can actually do better than that.

The simple answer is learn to tie your own rigs. If you are happy to trust somebody else's knots then fine, but if there is a breakage, who do you blame? If you have tied your rigs there is only yourself.

Next issue, the cost of ready tied rigs, works out expensive compared to the cost of getting the materials yourself. 10 rigs cost you £20 if you buy them ready made. For £20 with the cost of the materials you could tie 20rigs at least!

You will need to learn to tie other knots at some point and preferably soon, for your sake and that of the Fish. Some lines do not take a Blood Knot well as it is a strangulation knot and it can cause breakages!

For other knots, with step by step pics try this:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25551

Mike has put up a link to the Basic Rigs sticky in New To CarpFishing, but there is also this one in Rig Tying.

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22185

The first post gives a step by step on tying the knotless knot. The first rig pics are the same as the basic rigs as well :wink:

Monofilament is stiffer than Braid, this stiffness may start to cost you fish.

Braid is as easy to tie as Mono, in fact easier and may be safer as you do not get that crinkle effect that you do with Mono. That crinkle can be a weak spot in your line which could be the point the line breaks.

Just for a quick pointer, I took a friend fishing the other day who had been buying ready made rigs, it took 5 minutes and 2 demonstrations for him to learn the knotless knot using braid.

Now if I can do that on the Bank in a wind, then I'm sure if you ask someone politely in either the Tackle shop, or on the bank that you would like some assistance with learning then you may receive some help.

:wink:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest weimaraner
the hair rigs i use bormally are the esp 12lb braid to a size 10 or 12 hook witch are barbless yes they only cost £2 each but would that strengh catch a 20 pounder??

I landed my first 30 on a 12lb hooklink.

I believe that its much better to use a light hooklink and play the fish out gently. Heavy lines give you to much confidence and lead to lost fish. Peolple also tend to bully fish with heavy gear and this makes a bad angler. :evil: Plus you'll recieve more bites on pressured waters with light hooklinks. :wink: