Leadcore knots

carpingod150

this is the needle knot...

http://www.dynamitebaits.com/index.php?id=717&usergroup=carp

And the figure of 8 knot is just where you make a loop knot in your mainline, then a loop in the leadcore, and pass the leadcore through the line knot, and put t'other end of the leadcore through the spliced loop

It's hard to explain lol :P

I think the only safe knots to use with Leadcore to Mainline are the Needle Knot, or to splice it and then a Uni/Grinner knot through the splice.

The Leadcore if you get a snap-off must not become a Death Rig, so if the water is weedy or snaggy then don't use it. It will tangle round weeds and snags even with no Lead attached.

I prefer to use Running leads with it, although Helicopter rigs slide off the Leadcore better if only Rubber beads are used, and must NOT be glued into place. Even putting the bead on by making another hole with a Baiting needle can get trapped on the Leadcore, far better to use a small piece of silicon under the rubber bead.

I have written in the past about a Leadcore rig that cut off my Marker, that I eventually managed to snag and drag in at SWP. There was no way a Fish could eject the lead, I tried, and Trevor the Bailiff tried, using Pliers and full force between us. The rig swivel would not slide off the leadcore, so whoever was using the so called "safezone" rigs could have been responsible for a Fish death.

I've always used the needle knot, and it's never done me wrong. Once i've tied the knot, i always glue it with a bit of super glue. This alway gives me a bit more confidence with using this knot. :wink:

i use a loop-to-loop method, with a spliced loop of about 2-3mm in the leadcore. I also use running rigs the vast majority of the time, apart from in very heavy weed or for long-distance stuff, so the lead can always slide over the top of the loops.

i use a loop-to-loop method, with a spliced loop of about 2-3mm in the leadcore. I also use running rigs the vast majority of the time, apart from in very heavy weed or for long-distance stuff, so the lead can always slide over the top of the loops.

I must admit I don't like loop to loop with Mainline to leadcore. I prefer a proper knot. The loop in the Mainline is a potential weakspot. Any Loop formed using an Overhand knot is nowhere near 100% in terms of strength.

Also in weed, the Leadcore, even with a "safe" set-up, is a liability. The leadcore can get tangled round the weed, tethering a Carp. Even if the Running Lead is ejected, which in weed is not always a definite, then the Leadcore is weighty enough to tangle around any weed and prevent the rig being ejected. The Carp then has to break free, which is damaging the fish.

I've always used the needle knot, and it's never done me wrong. Once i've tied the knot, i always glue it with a bit of super glue. This alway gives me a bit more confidence with using this knot. :wink:

Never have confidence with Supergluing Knots. A Splice will hold on itself without Superglue.

I always worry that after a period of time a Superglued Knot will break,

(a subject I have brought up in the past:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20072)

I test every knot before I cast the rig out, the Mainline to swivel knot, the Hook knot and the Hooklink to Swivel Knot, as well as when I tie the rigs they are checked and tested

i would always use the needle knot as i have 100% confidence that the lead can pass over it making if you were to break off . if you use any other knot you have to splice each end and when testing this (at home) i found that sometimes the lead does not pass over it. Making it a DEATH rig.

i would always use the needle knot as i have 100% confidence that the lead can pass over it making if you were to break off . if you use any other knot you have to splice each end and when testing this (at home) i found that sometimes the lead does not pass over it. Making it a DEATH rig.

If the Lead is attached to the End Splice, then the Rig should come off the other end of the Leadcore.

If you use Running Leads then the Run Ring the lead is attached to should be free to come off the Leadcore, and it can pass over the splice.

Just take out the insert,I always get rid of the hard plastic ones and replace with a Korda(yes you did read that right) shockleader sleeve with an inline anyway and if spliced correctly it should come off with relative ease.I only tend to fish inlines generally at close range so removing the insert doesn't cause major issues.

Absolutely agree,nearly all pretied leadcore comes with a splice at one end with a swivel at the other and if not both ends are spliced.If someone is asking a question such as this I presume(may be wrong) that they're buying a pretied leader and I can't really see them cutting the splice off to tie a needle knot.

I,as you obviously do, check every rig to ensure safety before use and I'd never use a rig that was unsafe hence why I said about removing the insert.

• 2 weeks later...