Is this a good start

Hi guys I've just started carp fishing I'm wondering if this is a good starter kit that I've recently bought

• x2 Sonik Vader X Rod 12ft 3.5TC
  • x1 Sonik Xtractor 6ft 3.0TC 
  • x1 Shimano Baitrunner DL Size: 10000
  • x1 Shimano Beastmaster XB Reel Size: 10000
  • x1 Shimano Aerlex XTB Reel Size: 10000
  • x2 New direction bite alarms 
  • x1 Quest Tackle Comfort Bivvy
  • x1 Leeda Rogue 3 in 1 Rod Pod

I still have a few bits to buy yet like just need some ideas of good gear :D

Edited by Macca187

You may wish later to have matching reels ,if your not doing nights then a chair would be good, net and matt too

I personal think second hand is a good way to get quality without the big price tag new.

I only buy Mint AAA at 50 -60 % of new , save a fortune over the years ,you may have to wait but its out their. 

On 04/08/2019 at 21:34, dayvid said:

You may wish later to have matching reels ,if your not doing nights then a chair would be good, net and matt too

I personal think second hand is a good way to get quality without the big price tag new.

I only buy Mint AAA at 50 -60 % of new , save a fortune over the years ,you may have to wait but its out their. 

I've sent back the baitrunner and got same reel and also I do have a chair and net just havent listed them I've got a a abode reclinable chair and saber 42inch net and just bought a daiwa reel for my 6ft rod

Edited by Macca187

On 4 August 2019 at 12:10, Macca187 said:

Hi guys I've just started carp fishing I'm wondering if this is a good starter kit that I've recently bought

• x2 Sonik Vader X Rod 12ft 3.5TC
  • x1 Sonik Xtractor 6ft 3.0TC 
  • x1 Shimano Baitrunner DL Size: 10000
  • x1 Shimano Beastmaster XB Reel Size: 10000
  • x1 Shimano Aerlex XTB Reel Size: 10000
  • x2 New direction bite alarms 
  • x1 Quest Tackle Comfort Bivvy
  • x1 Leeda Rogue 3 in 1 Rod Pod

I still have a few bits to buy yet like just need some ideas of good gear :D

For the rods I would say 'ouch!'

3.5lb is a heavy test curve that is designed more for long distance casting than fishing, fish playing. I still say that in the UK you need no more than 2.75lb TC, with an absolute maximum of 3lb unless you do need to cast long. Fashion has gone a long way in making life more difficult than it need be.

Matching reels do make life easier, although the 10000 size is about right in either the DL, Beastmaster or XTB; the DL is a 'larger' baitrunner but with 15lb line due to line diameter and capacity you would struggle to cast much above 90metres. The other two from memory are 'big pit' style.

After using DL and Beastmaster reels, I honestly think the Beastmaster are better quality.