Midlands park lakes

• 1 month later...

salford park/aston reservoir, great course and carp lake, id say less than 20 carp in the lake, some run upto 30ib now, you will struggle to catch them, the lake is very pressured with fishing, can be a bit dodgy fishing the lake, alot of idiots on there alot of the time but still a great lake if you like he urban scenery, 

plantsbrook nature reserve, great pike fishing, think there might be some carp lurking in there too, hardly fished, very quiet, is pitch black on the night times, and quite eerie, ive chucked a marker out and got depths of 22ft on the big lake, used to be run on a membership years ago but doesnt exist now, council run, 

sutton park, blackroot had some big carp in but has been pressured for the last 10 years now, plus i think they have all but died in blackroot some will still be lurking but nothing over 20ib, great lake, great scenery, no hassle or trouble on the nights, waters run by the sutton park rangers but never come round, you wont have to pay, although i think its a few quit, very silty, rather shallow due to extreme silt dead leaf/trees ect, ive never found over 7ft on the whole lake.  longmoor lake has no fish in, its got a depth of around 4ft max, bracebridge is a good course lake never heard of any carp took from there don't know depths of that lake, the lake by the wyndley leisure centre you cant fish it, but ive heard that its a stock lake for a handfull of fisheries around brum. powells pool is good pike course lake, quite deep, ive chucked a marker at 200yards and got around 14-17ft, ive heard off a few lads theres a 40 in there. sutton parks probs best for security and piece of mind, 

st margaret's estate great barr, the two lakes, amazing pike fishing there, very very overgrown you will have to chop your own peg out, very deep but lake is extremely weedy, top lake is covered more of the time in summer, bottom lake doesnt go over 6ft in depth, top lake if found 12.14 on the marker, ive seen big pike roll on the dam walkover aswell, very eerie lake to fish especially if you read its history

shard end lake, and the kingshurst lake have good carp in there, rough lakes though i wouldnt fish them on the nights, 

frankley reservoir, good course fishing, nothing special in carp terms in there, 

upper bittle got drained everything took out

lower bittle is good course, not so good carp fishing, 

brookvale lakes witton, had fish disease around 10 years ago, theres fish in there now but nothing of size due to the fish deaths, 

upper witton lakes, iver never fished it i wouldn't recommend fishing it at all, proper rough area

perry park alexander stadium, i found news article a few years back of some foreigners pouching the carp there, doubt there is anything in there now, 

forge mill lake, again was poached alot years back, no big carp in there now, sandwell swan lake got poached again nothing in there im certain, plus wouldn't recommend night fishing it

avoid small heath park lake, cannon hill lake, edgebaston pool, edgebaston reservoir, handsworth golf lake, pype hays lake, babbsmill, shard end, lakes, there all rough, i wouldnt fish them, 

great pike fishing around the canals in brum, especially around the tyburn road, back of fosters in great barr, and all the way along the canal to brum, 

dont fish the river teme, its got nothing in, highly polluted, very shallow, id class it more as a brook than a river, you will get ebola fishing it

id reccomend best places to fish would be sutton park, blackroot, bracebridge, and powells 

59 minutes ago, jimmyhoffa said:

salford park/aston reservoir, great course and carp lake, id say less than 20 carp in the lake, some run upto 30ib now, you will struggle to catch them, the lake is very pressured with fishing, can be a bit dodgy fishing the lake, alot of idiots on there alot of the time but still a great lake if you like he urban scenery, 

plantsbrook nature reserve, great pike fishing, think there might be some carp lurking in there too, hardly fished, very quiet, is pitch black on the night times, and quite eerie, ive chucked a marker out and got depths of 22ft on the big lake, used to be run on a membership years ago but doesnt exist now, council run, 

sutton park, blackroot had some big carp in but has been pressured for the last 10 years now, plus i think they have all but died in blackroot some will still be lurking but nothing over 20ib, great lake, great scenery, no hassle or trouble on the nights, waters run by the sutton park rangers but never come round, you wont have to pay, although i think its a few quit, very silty, rather shallow due to extreme silt dead leaf/trees ect, ive never found over 7ft on the whole lake.  longmoor lake has no fish in, its got a depth of around 4ft max, bracebridge is a good course lake never heard of any carp took from there don't know depths of that lake, the lake by the wyndley leisure centre you cant fish it, but ive heard that its a stock lake for a handfull of fisheries around brum. powells pool is good pike course lake, quite deep, ive chucked a marker at 200yards and got around 14-17ft, ive heard off a few lads theres a 40 in there. sutton parks probs best for security and piece of mind, 

st margaret's estate great barr, the two lakes, amazing pike fishing there, very very overgrown you will have to chop your own peg out, very deep but lake is extremely weedy, top lake is covered more of the time in summer, bottom lake doesnt go over 6ft in depth, top lake if found 12.14 on the marker, ive seen big pike roll on the dam walkover aswell, very eerie lake to fish especially if you read its history

shard end lake, and the kingsford lake have good carp in there, rough lakes though i wouldnt fish them on the nights, 

frankley reservoir, good course fishing, nothing special in carp terms in there, 

brookvale lakes witton, had fish disease around 10 years ago, theres fish in there now but nothing of size due to the fish deaths, 

upper witton lakes, iver never fished it i wouldn't recommend fishing it at all, proper rough area

perry park alexander stadium, i found news article a few years back of some foreigners pouching the carp there, doubt there is anything in there now, 

forge mill lake, again was poached alot years back, no big carp in there now, sandwell swan lake got poached again nothing in there im certain, plus wouldn't recommend night fishing it

avoid small heath park lake, cannon hill lake, edgebaston pool, edgebaston reservoir, handsworth golf lake, pype hays lake, babbsmill, shard end, lakes, there all rough, i wouldnt fish them, 

great pike fishing around the canals in brum, especially around the tyburn road, back of fosters in great barr, and all the way along the canal to brum, 

dont fish the river teme, its got nothing in, highly polluted, very shallow, id class it more as a brook than a river, you will get ebola fishing it

id reccomend best places to fish would be sutton park, blackroot, bracebridge, and powells 

That’s a great write up.  Cheers

cuttle mill is in sutton coldfield area of birmingham, very nice area, will cost you a min of 20 quid a night to fish it, very posh carp fishery, great old carp in there as well stocked from france, great tranquil lake, peaceful secure, it's a fishery so has all the requirements ect, 

there is a lake at the back of the ramada hotel in walmley, you'll see it on google maps don't know what the lakes called, i've heard of some great fish in there but that goes years back, i'm not sure who owns it, i just think its a scenery piece for the hotel so most likely run by ramada, although i have heard fosters have got something to do with it

langley mill lake, back of falcon lodge walmley, that's a membership lake, only something like 30 quid to join, great course fishing, huge stock of bream, tench, some monster carp in there but its not a carp lake theres no carp anglers on it they don't really like the carp lads on there although i know personally there is carp in there upto 30ib, they've come from the lake behind there lindridge lake, which is a carp syndicate, both are syndicate membership lakes, 

earlswood is not far from brum located by solihull, canal river trust run, costs something like 5-6 quid a day, its stated as no night fishing but the bayliff is lax about this, if done nights a few times on there, a lot of noddy anglers on the water, heavily pressured with your idiots fishing it bad fish care/health, 

himley hall in dudley, half hour from brum is a great venue to fish, you can day fish it for under 10 quid, but to do nights you have to be on the syndicate for a few hundred quid a year, its worth that all day long to be a member there, great lake, great scenery ect, very secure, great fish in the lake alot of grass carp upto and i think over 30ib, there's a video of matt hayes fishing it years ago, deffinately worth fishing on a day ticket one of the best day ticket lakes, very very touristy though hundreds of people walking around the lake daily 

sheepwash nature reserve i've never fished have never found info on the lake i assume theres got to be some carp in there but if anything significant is in there it would have been caught, abit rough area as well wouldn't really do nights on there

buckpool fens nature reserve in dudley has some big carp in there but is quite rough, you'll be hearing scramblers all day long riding around the area, i would actually do nights on there but with a few lads, ive sure big carp crusing around at the top lake called middle pool, definitely worth fishing if your with someone else i can guarantee there's some great fish in there, its not really fished as well except for the odd local lads but they look inexperienced anglers anyway no disrespect to the lads but i doubt they've hauled any of the big carp in there out, dont know the depths never chucked a marker out only walked round the lakes, 

netherton reservoir is good course and carp fishing, id say no carp over 30ib in there though, big lake, very choppy and windy as its a wide expanse water, you cant actually fish it now as the council have banned fishing because of the local riff raff causing trouble down there, wouldn't do nights on there myself

16 hours ago, jimmyhoffa said:

salford carl, i dont suppose you fish salford do you ??

No mate, I’m still unsure what to do this year. I want to get out but can’t decide where to go. Probably just hit I little day ticket local. 

Alghough the lure lure of a Warwickshire Avon carp has me wondrous 

what species are you after mate ?

avon is a nice river ive only ever fished it down by fladbury, evesham, the river severn has some cracking carp in, but its what sections to fish, trimpley reservoir back of there on the severn is a good slow deep section of the river, i can put money on it theres some monsters in there, 

• 9 months later...
On 25/03/2019 at 00:35, jimmyhoffa said:

salford carl, i dont suppose you fish salford do you ??

I’ve fished the reservoir ever since I was 7 when I used to go down with my dad and catch perch but now it has become very overgrown with weed and now people and stealing the fish to eat but the local anglers who always fish it have been taking the fish out and putting them in Sutton park’s Blackroot pool most of the upper 10s and low 20s are already in there and reports of the 30 has been recently put in blackroot now it is still a good lake to fish but very hard to 

• 4 months later...
On 14/01/2020 at 20:31, Jake sadler said:

I’ve fished the reservoir ever since I was 7 when I used to go down with my dad and catch perch but now it has become very overgrown with weed and now people and stealing the fish to eat but the local anglers who always fish it have been taking the fish out and putting them in Sutton park’s Blackroot pool most of the upper 10s and low 20s are already in there and reports of the 30 has been recently put in blackroot now it is still a good lake to fish but very hard to 

First time visiting blackroot today,what a beautiful setting, was mesmerized as soon as I set eyes on the lake, certanly a big old walk..didn't see any carp tho, just a few dead bream in the sides.

Do you know if blackroot is pressure fished mate?? Considering giving it a go in a few weeks time 

Any help from anyone would be great 

All the big carp are dead in the root or have either been poached or removed, I haven't seen a big carp in there not heard of a catch from there for a couple years now, all the old girls from beyondthebivvy door pages  have died, there might be some pasties in there but nothing of size, 

ive heard rumors of a 40 in Powell s pool and cats in there too but again I have seen any photos but to be fair if I caught a 40 from there I wouldn't tell anyone neither, something makes me believe it as I see the same bunch of lads fishing it when I go down, and judging by the gear they look like they no what they are doing

If you do fish the root try and chuck them out in the middle where the old wooden platform thing is, I've seen them topping there before and have caught at that spot before, I know a load of guys who fish on that spot religiously 

On 24/03/2019 at 17:10, jimmyhoffa said:

shard end lake, and the kingsford lake have good carp in there, rough lakes though i wouldnt fish them on the nights, 

Hi mate, I'm nearly 17 I've got into carp fishing but knly really done fishing on private fisheries, I know there are some beautiful fish in public lakes but birmingham, being birmingham, would you say jts alright to do over nighters? I know places like Salford (my brother got his tackle stolen by some pols like 10 years back) has much changed around brum in terms of saftey fishing? 

I'd say salford has calmed down a lot now, it's a bonus there is a roadworks site under the motorway opposite the lake, I know there's a  man on security there every night so I tend to fish the river side close to there compound as if I get any agro I'd just give them boys a shout, I've done overnighters on most lakes around brum and been fine,

also mate I would insure your fishing tackle, it only costs a few quid a month and for the piece of mind it's worth it, fosters do  tackle insurance

also have a look at the two lakes in great Barr behind the old st margrets hospital, beautiful secluded lakes, you have to climb fences to get to them but literally all the times I have been on them I haven't saw a single sole, google map then there adjacent to asda queslett, 

22 hours ago, jimmyhoffa said:

All the big carp are dead in the root or have either been poached or removed, I haven't seen a big carp in there not heard of a catch from there for a couple years now, all the old girls from beyondthebivvy door pages  have died, there might be some pasties in there but nothing of size, 

ive heard rumors of a 40 in Powell s pool and cats in there too but again I have seen any photos but to be fair if I caught a 40 from there I wouldn't tell anyone neither, something makes me believe it as I see the same bunch of lads fishing it when I go down, and judging by the gear they look like they no what they are doing

If you do fish the root try and chuck them out in the middle where the old wooden platform thing is, I've seen them topping there before and have caught at that spot before, I know a load of guys who fish on that spot religiously 

Thanks for your reply mate much appreciated.im hoping your wrong,surely there's got be some, I'm meeting a fella on 16th of this month,  he fished it last year who says he knows there's carp in one of the lakes,(I hope he's right) either way it will be a beautiful place to place a rod.

Yeah tbh mate I would not tell a sole either. Haven't had the chance to walk around Powell's yet.

Will keep my eyes peeled for that spot when I'm down there.

I heard you mention lakes in great barr, are they safe too approach mate? Would like to pay them a visit,

Edited by Marvoulous barbless
Missing paragraph

There is definitely carp in there for sure but id be surprised if there was anything over 20-25ib in the root, you'll find carp in almost every lake there in abundance now compared to back in the 80s and so on, you'll probably pull out decent carp from lakes like small Heath park, cannon hill park ect but it's down to the scenery and the winderness of the lake for me,

i bet there is some big carp in wyndley lake aswell as it's a big water plus it's constantly fed with breed from the locals, only thing is you can't fish it plus the only fish able bank is the dam side, I've even looked st trawling through the woods and tucking myself in on the far side for a day with a rod, might be worth a shot.

as for great Barr there's perry park lake which used to have some big carp in you'll find news articles of it online it's quiet you won't get any agro on there too plus I never see a sole fishing it

theres the lake behind asda I call the quarry lake I don't know it's actual name, although it doesn't look that appealing looks quiet fishy, 

st magrets lakes are beautiful waters although there fenced off if you walk into the entrance by the old caretakers house there is a gap in the fence, stay away from the bottom lake it is literally no more that 2-3ft in depth, really silty and sandy, think the top lake has fed it for so long it's just shallowed it up too much, the top lake is your best bet ive seen pike rolling in there on many occasions by the steppingstone crossing between the two lakes, I'd love to fish it for carp to be fair and it's been on my list for some time, it's full of lillies so take a rake or pre rake your spots first, it is literally never even walked round by the public let alone fished, its more disused and abandoned "which is what I love about it" the history of the place is abit spooky as it used to sit on a old mental hospital st magretes there's still the old buildings dotted around the lakes and the old church.

there used to be a specimen lake close to fox hills fishery aswell called the donught, you'll find it on goggle maps, I think it's a syndicate now I'm not sure,

youve also got pens lake which is owned by fosters on the radioson  hotel site in Walmley, I think it's on pen road or something like that just off the Chester road, if you could get onto that you would be laughing as it's run by fosters and got the hotel on it so your safe and sound 

look out for the wooden platform in the middle of the lake ( not sure if it's still there haven't been down there for over a year now) 

also there's a good spot on the end of the dam not the rangers yard side but the opposite wooded side, go along the bankside and there's a couple of workable pegs, I've chucked a marker out and found gravel/hard spots there about 40 yards out, I'd assume the dam itself would be a good place to fish from I'd put money on the carp cruising the dam after dark, they've been in there for tens of years they no when the park closes they no when the park empties of people, only thing would fishing the dam would be the public constantly walking past if your not a people person don't fish it,

beware aswell of suddenly having 20 canoes paddling around your spots, They run kids boating and watersports ect at anytime of the week

also there's s freight line that runs adjacent to the lake it's pretty cool seeing a 50 cart train cruse through while your fishing but getting your head down is a laugh

if you have a bait boat or a seriously good cast I would put my money on putting all your lines far out in the middle, my reasons for this would be 

it's s seriously busy lake with publicthe fish don't stay close in

also it's margins are shallow there's no severe drop off so you'll only start to get over 4ft when your about 30-40 yards out, 

i also know its teaming with big Peach and pike now, the lure fishing mafia are always down there in full force 

I wouldn't fish boilies, over 20+years the fish know what's s bait I'd try something different i.e. Maggot clip, meat, nuts, worms ect 

I'd have a bash At chucking a pellet waggler out if it's sunny aswell with some constant catty action to get em comming in 

Id have a go at bracebridge though mate if I was you, the root is known for carp now And it's fished a lot, no one fished the bridge and no one has caught a carp from it that I have heard if, it's a lot bigger, better spots, better pegs, more secluded pegs to dig yourself into, less public round there aswell, plus you've got the pub on there incase you need it, there's deffo carp in there it's the mystery lake in the park in my eyes, the more challenging one but would be so rewarding to pull something out of there, there is 100% nothing over 20-25 in the root now, plus all the carp in there are known about and caught regular plus it's fished a lot which is boring for me in my opinion. I'm into them wild lakes where no one even fishes, completely overgrown and no records of catches on them, real tuff wild carp fishing, but that's just me everyone isn't different 

• 2 years later...
On 07/06/2020 at 03:17, jimmyhoffa said:

Id have a go at bracebridge though mate if I was you, the root is known for carp now And it's fished a lot, no one fished the bridge and no one has caught a carp from it that I have heard if, it's a lot bigger, better spots, better pegs, more secluded pegs to dig yourself into, less public round there aswell, plus you've got the pub on there incase you need it, there's deffo carp in there it's the mystery lake in the park in my eyes, the more challenging one but would be so rewarding to pull something out of there, there is 100% nothing over 20-25 in the root now, plus all the carp in there are known about and caught regular plus it's fished a lot which is boring for me in my opinion. I'm into them wild lakes where no one even fishes, completely overgrown and no records of catches on them, real tuff wild carp fishing, but that's just me everyone isn't different 

Been eying up that top pool in great Barr where it’s all overgrown and fenced off, would be interested in knowing any info you have on it and if there’s defiantly anything worth fishing for in there (i.e) carp, could maybe private message me through my email if possible. I’m getting into finding untouched spots as I love the mystery of possible hooking into a wild carp. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there everyone, I've had a read of the majority of the replies to this post and was wondering if anyone has any updates on captures from the lakes mentioned which had carp on the bigger end. I've just moved from London and I'm used to fish park lakes so I'm not very bothered with an urban scenery, but would prefer if a place like blackroot still had some big ones in there. I live in the city centre if anyone knows of any decent spots would be appreciated. Thanks chrys.