Flavour Of The Week

Gazlaaar

Bait Nutrition

I know this has been done to death but I thought I'd start it off from a slightly different angle with a question.

Is bait Nutrition the end all and be all of bait?

For me

No I don't think it is, once more I'd like to point out, nutrition doesn't catch fish. Further more I'll make a distinctive point, lower nutrition doesn't equate to a harmful bait. The two subjects couldn't be any further apart.

A generalisation I know but, personally I'm bored of seeing nutrition this and nutrition that, it's a new buzz word that has replaced the older words of Amino Acid.

We're frequently told that we shouldn't listen to hype, well I think this is hype, it's what everyone wants to hear, playing on the guilt of anglers. Yeah sure we all have a responsibility to the care of the fish we catch but come on people look at it from outside the box. 

Carp aren't only eating your boilies, there's an abundance of food items present in every single venue around the country, man made and natural.

A bait doesn't have to be a nutritionally packed item to catch fish. Once more I have proof.

Let's look at some of the best anglers around.

Darrell Peck, admitted he knows very little about bait yet catches.

Simon Crow was with Nash, he caught fish, he's now with DNA, still catches fish

Ian Macmillan was with dynamite, he caught fish, he's now with DNA, he catches fish.

Gaz Fareham was with ccmoore, he caught fish, he's now with sticky, he still catches fish.

Adam Penning was with mainline, he caught fish, he's now with sticky, guess what, he still catches fish.

Look at our very own nige, (sorry nige but your the best example I can think of) used essential baits he caught fish, now uses Nash, guess what, he still catches fish.

Terry Hearn, has the bait world at his knees, and still he catches on tigers.

I bet non of the baits above are nutritionally perfect, they catch fish, and again they don't cause any harm.

Jim Gibbinson once wrote

Some anglers who subscribe to the HNV theory catch fish.

Some anglers who subscribe to the HNV theory don't catch fish.

Some anglers who don't subscribe to the HNV theory catch fish.

Some anglers who don't subscribe to the HNV theory don't catch fish.

Never a truer word

It's all about the angler 

I'm just looking at the bait situation as a whole from outside the box.

Yes I believe if your making your own bait and you have the time and money you should make it as nutritious as possible, but I don't think nutrition adds to a baits appeal, not in the way it's being thrust upon us all of late. 

I've often said aminos have wrongly taken centre stage but that seems to of shifted into guilt tripping potential buyers into buying what they believe to be the most nutritious bait out when in reality, fish get caught on all manner of things. 

I would even go as so far to say that some homemade bait makers are looking for something to replace their own inadequacy for banking fish. 

Bait is thrust as the end all and be all, get it in and they will come. Bait doesn't deserve the name it's made for itself, the anglers who are consistently catching deserve the credit.

Bait, like rigs are just small pieces of a big jigsaw.

5 hours ago, Gazlaaar said:

I'm just looking at the bait situation as a whole from outside the box.

Yes I believe if your making your own bait and you have the time and money you should make it as nutritious as possible, but I don't think nutrition adds to a baits appeal, not in the way it's being thrust upon us all of late. 

I've often said aminos have wrongly taken centre stage but that seems to of shifted into guilt tripping potential buyers into buying what they believe to be the most nutritious bait out when in reality, fish get caught on all manner of things. 

I would even go as so far to say that some homemade bait makers are looking for something to replace their own inadequacy for banking fish. 

Bait is thrust as the end all and be all, get it in and they will come. Bait doesn't deserve the name it's made for itself, the anglers who are consistently catching deserve the credit.

Bait, like rigs are just small pieces of a big jigsaw.

Baits work in conjunction with each other. A boilie with a low nutritional value may catch loads of fish, if the background feed is high nutrition, say a bed of pellets, or is providing other nutrition or attraction like particles, or even if the fish are in inquisitive mood.

Equally if you are fishing just boilies, then an high nutritional balanced food bait may be best.

HNV for long term consistent results imo. Less chopping and changing with flavours,colours etc...…. Everything is water dependent, some fish won't go near a high attract bait, some fish rarely get caught on boilies altogether...…. The deeper you go into bait making, the more peripheral subjects you start to learn about, the more you understand about fish, what they need, what they can detect and most importantly what they can utilise..... Once a few pennies start to drop, it becomes pretty clear that good nutrition is very important and this train of thought is very difficult to get away from...

I don't think anything in carp fishing is the be all and end all, that's the beauty of it... Anything can work on any given day and as we all know , confidence is key. So use whatever you are confident with..... For me, they generally know what's good for them and a decent HNV bait, will see them come back to a spot again and again and feed confidently. Seeing them do this gives me the confidence to keep using a nutritious food source. Knowing that they also benefit from it makes me feel that I am putting something good into their lives rather than just chasing them for a fish pic.....

Nothing better than seeing a couple of big old girls tearing up the bottom, you just know they are on it, and fingers crossed it's just a matter of time......