Kryston Merlin and Super Nova

I've been considering getting one of these. I asking what are the pros and cons of these two hooklink materials? Good abrasion resistence is a top quality I'm looking for. I certainly considering Kryston hooklinks because I tried their Jackal coated braid and really liked it.

2 hours ago, TnCarper said:

I've been considering getting one of these. I asking what are the pros and cons of these two hooklink materials? Good abrasion resistence is a top quality I'm looking for. I certainly considering Kryston hooklinks because I tried their Jackal coated braid and really liked it.

I have used SuperNova, SuperSilk and Merlin for years and reckon Kryston are normally the best braids around. If I said I first started using Merlin in the 1990's and still have a spool or two in my tackle box even now would that say anything?

I use them as a straight braided hooklink, and as part of a combi-link tied to 20lb plus Amnesia or Fluorocarbon. The first pic is Merlin straight through, the second SuperNova as part of a combi-link. I think from memory I had just got back from a session catching 5 decent carp on that setup, so cut the mainline above the tubing and rig to strip the line off the reels to replace it.

Abrasion resistance on both is good, although as with any hooklink, check it for rubs and abrasion after any cast.

Another advantage I found with Merlin is that you can splice the hook and swivel rather than knot them. 

I don't keep SuperNova in the box now, Merlin does what I need it to, and I have something like eight hooklink material spools in the box at the moment. 

A word on SuperSilk, while it is white, it takes on the colour of the lakebed, an overnight dye in a cup of tea or coffee sorts it if you don't fancy casting out a white hooklink. It is very thin for its breaking strain, so I worry about cutting the fishes lip.

Strangely enough Jackal is the only Kryston hooklink I am not keen on. I found the outer coating would strip and break easily, although the hooklink itself was good. I landed a few fish on hooklinks that I had cast out with a short stripped section near the hook, yet when I got the carp in, playing through weed, the whole hooklink was stripped. 

Coated Braids I use Mantis (and Mantis Gold), and Snakebite. 

I work on a simple theory, if it ain't broke, don't fix it

image.jpeg

image.jpeg