New rods

Hii all,

So having spent the weekend chucking 19 wraps on 2.5tc rods i have decided i need some new rods for the job. So whilst i was making 19wraps, It sometimes took a few casts, it wasnt the most accurate and adding a small PVA bag made it....a bit of a mere. I have a Free Spirit CTX spod/marker and that was making 19 wraps with great accuracy.....which is a waste of time if my rods are not accurate. 

So i have been looking at the free spirit range, And to be honest im a bit lost. Whilst i love the orange and look of the CTX rods, I have noticed they are at the lowest price point, The E and the Lite S are a little bit more expensive....So better?? I dont intend on buying rods very often so they need to last.

Anyway, Anyone using free spirit rods recommend them? whilst ideally i would like to try them out, Its hard to find a shop with them all in and i think waiting for a session with Mark might take an age.

Also TC.....I will be keeping my Greys prodigy 2.5tc rods as they are lovely (in my opinion) should i be looking at 3.25 or 3.5 with 50mm butt rings, These rods may need to do some bag work......

Obviously out of all this im aware my technique can be improved and obviously but casting further i am working on it, but higher TC rods will make fishing at range a whole lot more comfortable at the moment!

Roughly 80 yards?

I think you have discovered exactly how far that is, doesn't sound much, but is really quite a chuck. Probably not what you want to hear, but  bag work and chucking a lead a long way I would be going to a top brand manufacturer. Don't think you need to go much above 2.75, but 3 maybe 3.25 will add yards to your casting with a balanced reel.

Lot of money, but my 2.75lb Century NG's will go well over 100yards even with a small bag, and they chuck big pike deadbaits out as well.😖😳

They do a couple of higher TC rods in the same range, as well as the longer range SP's.

Even better, made in UK😉

If you're keeping the 2.5's then I'd go with the 3.5's solely as a casting tool for distance work.

I don't own Free Spirits but I've seen them all. They're all decent rods but the more you pay the better they'll get. The CTX are beasts but they're a little heavier than the E Class. If it's just for casting and you'll normally use the 2.5's elsewhere I'd stick with the cheaper CTX.