Weedy Rig (with a twist)

stuckingermany

Hi all, :D

Just a quick question for you all. Been fishing a new lake over here in Germany (just outside Hanover). The lake itself is about 14 acres in size and after spending quite a few hours over the winter/spring plumbing the depth, watching for sign, feature finding and speaking to other anglers/baliff etc I had to spend 2 glorious fun packed months in Poland(insert sarcasm). :wink:

Now I have been back for a couple of weeks I have had a recce round the lake last week and the spots that I have seen carp now have about a foot of weed growing all over it. So yesterday went for a 24 hour session. Got there about 3 in the PM and got the marker rod out and tried to find some clear patches....no such luck. :( So I went for a wander round the lake to see if I could see any sign else where. The only other place that I could see sign of carp is right up the other end of the lake where there is .......you guessed it, weed growiwng a foot high. :twisted:

Talked to a few of the locals, using my awsome grip of the German language, ( waves arms about and shouts Karpfen ) and the general consensus is that there are plenty of carp in the lake but they only like the areas at either end of the lake where all the weed is. Now I know what you are thinking, well they must be swimming from one end to the other just cast to the far bank where the reeds are :wink: and you will be bagging up in no time. Unfortunately the far bank is out of bounds and I cant cast 250 yrds :shock: Tried fishing as close to the edge of the weed as I could but no joy. Not saying that is why I blanked (although I did bag about 15 trout :evil: )but would like the option of fishing the weed if need be.

I"ve searched the forum and most topics talk about blanket weed and the use of either a zig rig/ PVA nuggets on hook or pop-ups. Thing with these methods is that the weed is tall and not overly dense at the base of the stalks, IMO the carp will be getting amongst the weed not feeding off the top of it.

I believe that the carp are still feeding down on the bottom and would like to know if any-one has any ideas on a good safe method of fishing for carp in this thick "forest" of weed.

I have no experience of this tyoe of weed so any thougths/ ideas to get me started would be brilliant.

Thinking out loud I was thinking about using a float with a ledger on the bottom like so.

Weedsetup.jpg

Thanks guys/girls for the replies in advance and excuse my terrible picture :oops:

Matt

P.S. coming back to the U.K. on Thursday so looking forward to fishing Wheeley, St Oysth way at the weekend. Can anyone recommend a decent tackle shop in the Colchester area (dont mind a bit of a drive but no more than 30 minutes as Sister driving and not an angler :wink: ) where I can get some decent boilies/particles etc instead of the crap ones I would have to get here. I have been using imitation sweetcorn, bloodworm and pellets over beds of particles.The flavours you get here are weird to say the least. My personal favourite has got to be Vodka and Whisky that smells like...well the only description I can come up with is wet dog.[/img]

I had thought of that one but not to sure if the denseness of the "weed forest" will just keep the hooklink a foot off the bottom out of the carps reach.

Also a little concerned that I will have loads of line getting tangled up in the "tree tops" (see dodgy picture above)

The pic you put up is actually something that was published in CarpWorld years ago and was found to be very effective, especially if the Bait, Hook and Lead are put in a PVA Bag and you can accurately get the lot into the weed.

Other than that have a look at the rig Tying Sticky, there is a pic of a Paternosted set-up that works if the Lead and Rig are put into a Bag as well.

Birds just outside Ipswich at Great Blakenham/Claydon. Come up the A12 and then take the A14 towards Bury st Edmunds until you get to the Blakenham B1113 Turn off. Take the second exit at the roundabout, and stay in the right hand lane into Blakenham. Just after the Lorry Park/Ind Estate take a right over the railway and then left at the End. Birds Tackle is on the left, just before the Level Crossing.