Mono hook length & braid hair ?

banjojohn

Hi ,

I'm on a venue which has banned braid and only allows mono as the hook length , I generally use the knotless knot and incorporate the hair ,

But I'm finding that using mono is making the hair " stiffer " than I'd want , So ... is there a method to add a braid hair rig to a mono hook length ?

I'm thinking mono straight to hook and then a tied braid hair rig but would like to know if theres any well known knots etc that does this well ?

Many ThanksĀ 

Easy to do: get fine braid, I use Kryston Samson hair braid just thread through the eye and then whip it back down the shank and then half hitch the tag end back up the shank, You could glue it if you feel better but I don't. Then knotless knot your nylon over the hair and that tension is enough to hold everything in place. Just pull it all tight first.

45 minutes ago, pooter said:

Easy to do: get fine braid, I use Kryston Samson hair braid just thread through the eye and then whip it back down the shank and then half hitch the tag end back up the shank, You could glue it if you feel better but I don't. Then knotless knot your nylon over the hair and that tension is enough to hold everything in place. Just pull it all tight first.

I often do the same but usually with dental floss; the alternative is knot the hooklink material to the hook as normal with a blood or Uni knot, and then tie the hair material to the hook eye. Once that is done I whip it down the hook shank and overhand knot to the hook shank at the point I want the hair to leave the hook. You can then put shrink or silicon tubing over the eye, which I do with a line aligner.

53 minutes ago, pooter said:

Ā 

4 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I often do the same but usually with dental floss; the alternative is knot the hooklink material to the hook as normal with a blood or Uni knot, and then tie the hair material to the hook eye. Once that is done I whip it down the hook shank and overhand knot to the hook shank at the point I want the hair to leave the hook. You can then put shrink or silicon tubing over the eye, which I do with a line aligner.

Thanks guys ,

I'll definitely try both them methods later at My desk :)Ā Dental floss sounds nice and supple but wouldnt it smell of Mint ? ... or do you soak it first , sorry again for all the questionsĀ 

Also do you make your own " line aligner " or buy them ready made ?

Really do appreciate the helpĀ 

4 minutes ago, pooter said:

You can buy aligners under various names but you might as well just buy a length of shrink tube from online and make your own, it'll be cheaper.

http://www.heatshrink-online.co.uk/heatshrink/

Ā 

Thanks Pooter , I always see Carp Anglers run it over steam from the kettle but I dont have a kettle lol ... can you make these at Home and then use them at the bank ?

Also you said in your previous post ... "Ā just thread through the eye and then whip it back down the shank and then half hitch the tag end back up the shankĀ " Ā I've gone over that sentence a few Times but cant quite understand it , do you mean you wrap down the shank ? and then I'm kinda stuck ... not sure what half hitch back up the shank means as I picture the Hair going upwards rather than downwards ,

Thanks again :)Ā 

2 hours ago, banjojohn said:

Ā 

Thanks guys ,

I'll definitely try both them methods later at My desk :)Ā Dental floss sounds nice and supple but wouldnt it smell of Mint ? ... or do you soak it first , sorry again for all the questionsĀ 

Also do you make your own " line aligner " or buy them ready made ?

Really do appreciate the helpĀ 

I got unflavoured dental floss from Sainsbury's, lasts for years.Ā 

I make line aligners myself, using shrink tube from Maplins, Fox or Solar, or sometimes with plain silicone tubing. You can even use a fake maggot to do it, perfect if you use maggots as bait, or as part of your bag or spod mix

41 minutes ago, phil dalts said:

Or use a swivel on the bend of the hook, held in place with a hook bead

1 minute ago, hutch said:

My personal preferred method but not what the OP was asking so I didn't mention it.

I've seen this done and looks interesting , Do you tie braid to the swivel ? also what size swivel would you use ? I ask about tying braid as I seen One that just squeezes the boilie over the swivel , ThanksĀ 

Ā 

14 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I got unflavoured dental floss from Sainsbury's, lasts for years.Ā 

I make line aligners myself, using shrink tube from Maplins, Fox or Solar, or sometimes with plain silicone tubing. You can even use a fake maggot to do it, perfect if you use maggots as bait, or as part of your bag or spod mix

Unflavoured ... Brilliant Idea :)Ā and I just bought some fake maggots but they float ... do you have the bend inwards or outwards ? ThanksĀ 

13 minutes ago, commonly said:

I use stiff rigmarole fluro, size 6 krank, 3 turn blood knot allows a bit of movement in the hook, micro swivel held with rigmarole hook stop, floss to attach bottom, snowman or wafter. Excellent hookholds, never lost a fish on this rig.

I had to google a few of them names :)Ā ... with the snowman do you use a large normal and a small pop up ? Thanks for the info too :)

The size of pop up will depend on the bottom bait. I cut off 1/4 of bottom bait with a craft knife. The same with the pop up. Check how it sits in a bucket or the margins, you can trim down the pop up accordingly, u want it to sink slowly, i waft my hand in the bucket & check how it moves. You'll know when its sitting nicely.

1 minute ago, commonly said:

The size of pop up will depend on the bottom bait. I cut off 1/4 of bottom bait with a craft knife. The same with the pop up. Check how it sits in a bucket or the margins, you can trim down the pop up accordingly, u want it to sink slowly, i waft my hand in the bucket & check how it moves. You'll know when its sitting nicely.

Thanks so much , I'll definitely try that :)Ā 

Antil tangle sleeves are like tail rubbers & will go over the swivel from hookilnk at lead/ clip to mainline or leader. Personally i dont use shrink tube. The rigmarole fluro to swivel i use 3 turn blood knot or loop knot. Then the anti tangle pushed up over the knot, if it moves push it over the eye of the swivel. It shouldnt make any difference on lead arrangement.

A few more edges. Pull everything down with pulling tool, chod pen & i only started last year sharpening the hookpoint & ensuring its sharp every time it goes out

Edited by commonly