Stripping Braid?

Pe7e

Welcome to the forum Pete, do they mean coated braid? in which case this simply means stripping the coating off of the 'coated' braid:

hook-length.jpg

This leaves the softer braid at the hook end, and a slightly stiffer hook length.

Edited by ianain
Cos I can't put text where I want when I post around images :humpf:

Just now, ianain said:

Welcome to the forum Pete, do they mean coated braid? in which case this simply means stripping the coating off of the 'coated' braid:

hook-length.jpg

Yeah, that's it, my apologies. What's the purpose of stripping it then? 

It's so that you can have a change in the stiffness and or suppleness of your hook-length.

Rigs can be made using mono which is either stiff or soft, there are several theories on using stiff and soft through the hook length to help hooking; so various monos were joined together, then someone came up with the idea of coating braid so that you can peel back the stiff coating to leave the supple braid.

all points above have explained it. 

It also ensures free movement of the hook which ups the hooking potential. KD rig (I think) in the picture will fly up in to the fish's mouth. Stripping the coating off braid is commonplace on a lot of rigs. KD, knotless knot, Multi... 

Another reason it is done is because the coating will split when bedding the knot down. If this happened youd be left with a mm or less below the hook eye which is supple. The hooking potential of this rig will be limited as the hook will likely tangle on the cast and flick about all over the shop as fish feed around it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-6-8 at 13:25, ianain said:

I've never understood how these type of rigs catch

hooking.png

But there's no doubt that they do?

Do you think that the carp needs to have the rig in its mouth and not know it's picked up a rig in order to catch? I think that once in its mouth, as long as the mechanics of the rig are sound even if it tries to eject immediately it stands a good chance of getting pricked and then bolting resulting in a run. For instance I think the effectiveness of the chod rig, especially a medium to long choddy, relies on the spring in the bent hook length. The carp sucks which straightens the hook length by pulling the bait end against the resistance of the line it is attached to. Then the elastic properties of the mono spring the hook downwards into the bottom lip once the carp stops its sucking motion. I also believe a similar thing happens due to gravity and buoyancy with other rigs, especially so with a large hook and varied buoyancy baits. I fish rigs with the idea that once a carp decides to take in the hook bait, once it's done so the hook should be contacting flesh almost immediately upon the carp stopping sucking, not relying on the carp to move off to get that initial hook to lip contact. Big sharp hook and away we go! This is IMHO though, and I'd love to see video footage of 20 odd pickups side by side of a large snowman with a size 2 hook vs a 10mm wafter with a size 10 hook. 

That's certainly an interesting way of thinking of the rig, definite food for thought - thank you.

I was really referring to the crudeness of it, the thick hook link, I've always had the mindset to go thinner and less obvious, but as I said in the post, it catches and it makes me wonder if you need any finesse :confused: we only remember when we make a change and catch shortly after.

The other thing I try and avoid is that, if something works one day for you it doesn't make it some sort of scientific fact that that is a winning formula. Due to the almost infinite variables plus 'luck' we have to remember that despite what we think we know, we actually know very little and believe a lot more! Makes it interesting anyway!