compact,decent budget alarms

I'm after a pair of decent little alarms for my local club waters.  I don't wish to spend over £50 for a pair,don't need remotes but if it's included in won't mind. I saw a Saber tackle set of 3 with a wireless remote for this amount. Any feedback? Or any other suggestions? 

Cheers all.

21 hours ago, pooter said:

I saw a Saber tackle set of 3 with a wireless remote for this amount. Any feedback? Or any other suggestions? 

Cheers all.

Personally I'd rather do without the remote and put my money into something with a "name" and a bit more of a reputation.

Therefore, like Dayvid above I'd be going the Fox Micron route.

Prices start around £25.00 each (new) or there are plenty of listings on ebay for 2nd hand sets, you might get lucky if you have a hunt around!

Fox alarms are bullet proof. Nothing fancy, they just do the job. Simple toggle on/off switch so you can see at a glance whether they are on or off, therefore easy enough to switch off when you are retrieving or adjusting your bobbins etc. so that you don't annoy people the other side of the lake!  This facility alone makes them worth their weight in gold.
When I first started out I bought some cheap "no name" alarms off the bay, they did this, they did that, on paper they were the dogs doo dahs! In reality, they were a pain in the butt. I could never tell when they were on or off, (to the annoyance of aforementioned anglers on the other side of the lake) and on more than one occasion actually had them going off in my tackle bag on the way back from a session!

I now have Fox alarms and wouldn't swap out for the world. They have never (ever) let me down despite some serious drenchings. Even if I won the lottery tomorrow, I wouldn't change them. I might treat myself to a trio of top range custom rods, maybe even some top range reels. But my good old Microns do exactly what I want them to do, which is make a row if I get a run. 

I've got 2 NGT ones, cheap as chips. Probably cost about £20 for the pair!!! My wife bought me a cheap carp kit, and the bite alarms are the only thing I haven't upgraded!! They're cheap but they do the job!!!

very loud easy turn off to stop annoying other anglers!!