The Old Quarry

Am I correct in thinking this is the one behind what used to be a little chef ?

If so I know its no real use to you but I used to fish that nearly 35 years ago lol it was a free water then and from memory it was very deep and held a low stock of fish up to 20lb.

Cheers Ian

Hi Ian,

Little Chef? Now you are testing my little grey cells.  You could be right, there were a lot of those around at one time. There is a big pub nearly opposite called the Arkle Manor (used to be a Beefeater) before it went all trendy.

Thanks for your reply. 

I've never fished there, but have had a look around. From what I've heard, it's very deep with very steep slopes. As it's an old flooded quarry, there isn't much in the way of margins. There was a small group of fish cruising around when I went, but it was only a handful however they looked to be a decent size.

The main reason I haven't been back is because of the bike trials. When I go fishing, I'm not keen on the noise from bikes surrounding me for several hours a day. I want peace and quiet. The bike trials are scheduled 10am the 2pm Saturday and Sunday except when there's a meet on.

I think I heard that Terry Hearn cut his teeth here when he was a lad. 

I've fished there on a couple of occasions, it's crayfish city and boilies are banned. Terry H did an Angling Times article where I recognised the venue which was unnamed. It's an old chalk pit . I might still have the article.  He claimed to be using pop ups,naughty boy. It's very sheltered due to the high chalk cliff at one end and the trees surrounding it. There's some nice roach there too. I don't remember catching anything but crays but it was 15 years or so back.