Nash fang hooks.

Dicky123

You are not forced to use small hooks in the age of the hair rig. Matching hook size to bait size is a tactic from general coarse fishing days when baits were not hair rigged. If you use some kind of bouyancy aid like cork you can use as big a hook as you want. I'm happy to use 4 or even 2 with 20mm baits. If you're concerned with visibility balance your rig with the hook on the deck. Even a tiny paternoster whoops,I meant chod (or is it khod) could have the hook off the deck and the fish could well ignore it's presence.

Side hooked boilies required a big, wider gaped hook just  to work effectively,size 2 and even 1/0 had been used.

Small hooks may penetrate easier but bigguns tend to stay in and are strong. It's all about matching the weight of the bait. 

I tried 10 mm boilies once,they kept splitting.

I tend to use a size 4 with everything from 18mm bottom baits to a couple of pieces of popped up corn.

The only time I might consider going smaller is if my pop up rig is playing up due to the weight of the hook, but I never change on a bottom bait.

I do tend to prefer black finished hooks. Blend in with the crud a bit better

8)

10 hours ago, fangus15 said:

It all depends on the fisheries rules 

There's some that you can only go up to a size 6 and another size 4

I know of one fishery that insists on maximum size 10 hook. You need a very good strong hook pattern as there are carp up to 24lb, even if most are single figures.

Its worth looking out for big size 10's! Some 10's in various patterns are as big as a 6 in others.

• 4 months later...