Float rod

Has anyone used one of these before? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-NEW-Coarse-Fishing-Forcemaster-AX-Commercial-10ft-Mini-Float-Rod-/231100006881?hash=item35cea241e1:g:La8AAMXQWzNSfNtu

I'll be fishing the canal, river and most of the lakes I go to with it. Just looking for something to put in the rod bag and take with me so if I get a bit bored I can set up the float rod and catch a few silvers lol thanks :)

I played around with the Forcemaster rods when I worked in the tackle shop, and they were one of the rods I would recommend to people for children coming into fishing, because they have the power to deal with bigger fish at an affordable cost.

The Hyperloop reels I would avoid though, they do feel a bit stiff.

For the same sort of money reel wise look at the Drennan Red Range

http://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/drennan-red-range-reel?gclid=CIu4sLP1qtMCFUkQ0wodutwCbw

Even though I am a committed Shimano reel devotee, the Drennan is far better!

37 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I played around with the Forcemaster rods when I worked in the tackle shop, and they were one of the rods I would recommend to people for children coming into fishing, because they have the power to deal with bigger fish at an affordable cost.

http://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/drennan-red-range-reel?gclid=CIu4sLP1qtMCFUkQ0wodutwCbw

I'll get it ordered then mate, does the length actually matter? I've been reading up on the length of the rod for float fishing and every answer is different lol. 

2 hours ago, jh92 said:

I'll get it ordered then mate, does the length actually matter? I've been reading up on the length of the rod for float fishing and every answer is different lol. 

For most fishing, especially rivers I would say 12 or 13 foot is best, but for still waters I think 10 - 12feet is fine.

The main reason for a 12 foot rod is the water depth, in as much as you want a rod longer than the depth you are fishing, not easy to fish a float in 10feet of water with a 10foot rod, unless you fish a sliding float.

Not many modern commercials are more than 10feet, hence the name of the rod, Shimano Forcemaster Commercial. The shorter rod is perfect for tight tree lined swims, for handling nice sized carp without being too long, and I would use it on most waters around now.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

For most fishing, especially rivers I would say 12 or 13 foot is best, but for still waters I think 10 - 12feet is fine.

The main reason for a 12 foot rod is the water depth, in as much as you want a rod longer than the depth you are fishing, not easy to fish a float in 10feet of water with a 10foot rod, unless you fish a sliding float.

Not many modern commercials are more than 10feet, hence the name of the rod, Shimano Forcemaster Commercial. The shorter rod is perfect for tight tree lined swims, for handling nice sized carp without being too long, and I would use it on most waters around now.

46 minutes ago, hutch said:

If its any help to you, I use 1 of the Drennan red reels coupled with a forcemaster 11ft feeder rod  for my lad when we go fishing, he's had Bream to just shy of 8lbs and tench to over 5lbs and it is a really nice setup to play them on :)

Thanks for the info, decided to go for a 11ft one with the drennan reel. I was gonna go for a 10ft one but as you said about fishing in deep water maybe a 11ft one will be better because a few of the waters I fish are pretty deep lol just hope it's here by Friday :)

I the only shimano rod i have owned was a hyperloop 13ft match 1 1/2 lb test was a great rod and playing carp upto 10lb on it was great fun ... i snapped the top section playing a 20lb+ on it not what it was intended for i dnt think :?.

I replaced it with a john wilson masterline 13ft match not as good as the hyperloop and its getting abit battered now so i may be looking at a new match rod later this season.

Edited by DEANO30

On 17/04/2017 at 08:01, salokcinnodrog said:

The drennan reel turned up today..such a nice reel, really light and smooth :D