hummingbird smartcast?

hey guys,

i was reading some articles on marker floats last night, i stumbled across one in which an angler mentioned a "humminbird smartcast", after having a look at them and seeing exactly what it was, its a depth finder/fish finder. im not interested in the whole fish finder part, but really like the whole depth finder part. i nearly purchased the deeper one a few months back, but at over £150 it was just to much. ive found these humminbird smartcast ones for nearly half that. anyone used one or have any info?

Edited by keeno86

Got one mate, the fish fnder part is a bit iffy, but what they do well is send you a profile of the bottom as you reel in, i use mine on gravel pits for finding features, they also give a surface temp reading, if you are going to buy one, get the longer range Pirranha, and be aware in heavy ripple the wave effect affects them badly, thats a cheap price, 200 quid i payed for mine. Unless you have a specific use for 1, i would say dont bother.

Thanks cm. im not after the fish finder part of it, i want to see the features as you say and depth. i know this is all achievable with a marker float but i find myself getting more and more into the finer details these days, want to know exactly whats down there. on my current lake my favorite swim in a tiny bit of water, now im using my distance sticks and clipping up religiously ive found that even though i know the average depth and i know this lake is just clay and silt with next to know weed ive found 2 spots, literally a dustbin lid in size that have produced the best session of my life, best out of anyone who i have fished with on this lake, and they have been fishing it for years. but literally a foot outside these 2 tiny spots and nothing. its doing my head in, there is no difference in depth or lake bottom. now im thinking about it i think id be better off with that fish spy camera jobby.

would avoid the smartcast as although I have one and they are pretty good you cant get the uk (yellow)  sonars anymore . the batteries are sealed in and don't last long and cant be changed without a lot of hassle.

don't think the green ones are legal in the uk

would avoid the smartcast as although I have one and they are pretty good you cant get the uk (yellow)  sonars anymore . the batteries are sealed in and don't last long and cant be changed without a lot of hassle.

don't think the green ones are legal in the uk

Ah, but the Green ones are ever so Carpy ..................