Shimano XTEA 10000 Baitrunner rear Drag Judder, need help to take it apart.

Hello, I have Shimano XTEA 10000 Baitrunner with slight drag judder, it hasn't been used for a while. I'm told its a simple fix, re-crease the drag disc or at worst I need new discs. As the reel is like new and hardly been used, I'm hoping its just needs re-creasing. But I can't work out how to get to the drag discs, they are at the rear of the reel inside/under the rear drag setting kno b, I cant work out how to remove the kno b to get to the disc, Shimano call it the drag programming kno b. Can anyone please advise me on dismantling the rear of the reel? Most of the rest of the reel in in pieces, just cant work it out the drag disc area at the rear.

Many thanks

Hi Snoozzer

Yes, I think your right, the c clip 8882 is the answer, but can't see a way of getting to it. There is no gap between the main and baitrunner drag knobs ( K- nob if censored take out the -) The rear plastic k-nob 10786 must pull off? I have tried it, but it doesn't seem to want to come off. 

The answer must be simple, but it just knowing the trick of removal.

Many thanks

Ummm there's probably a special little tool they use very thin and just the right shape to puch the clip down.

I've got a spare AR 8010 GT in my hut with the same setup, I might have a look see if i can entice the k n o b off the back end..

Edited by snoozer

Hello, to anyone that needs to take this end of their reel apart. I have just worked it out.

Item 10786 has two 2.5mm shallow holes, at 180 degrees apart. Get two 2.5mm drill bits and place the shanks into the recessed hole, hold in tight and get someone to turn item 10786 the end cap, turn it anti clockwise, its a lefthand thread. Remove the 3 clips 8881, then everything comes out easily, clean and re-grease the friction washers and reassemble. I have just do this and its transformed the d-rag on my reel. 

Hello, to anyone that needs to take this end of their reel apart. I have just worked it out.

Item 10785 has two 2.5mm shallow holes, at 180 degrees apart. Get two 2.5mm drill bits and place the shanks into the recessed hole, hold in tight and get someone to turn item 10786 the end cap, turn it clockwise, its a lefthand thread. Remove the 3 clips 8881, then everything comes out easily, clean and re-grease the friction washers and reassemble. I have just do this and its transformed the d-rag on my reel. 

• 4 years later...

I know its been here for a few years, but This post was very helpful as i have a very juddery drag on an xt 10000 ra, i cleaned and sorted the main drag, but the jerking is actually coming from the bait-runner part of the drag system, does anyone know how you get to it, it doesn't seem to fall out of the back like the main system so i assume you have to open the reel body up and pull the shaft? has anyone done this, and is it hard, i prefer to fix things myself and have been dismantling and servicing reels for many years but never done one of these. 

Thanks for any help 

Edited by janabz