My Step By Step Guide To Tying The Multi Rig

Gazlaaar

Part 1

This is my step by step guide to tying the Multi Rig, this is my interpretation of the now popular rig and I thought I would take you through the components I use and show you how I construct mine. I have literally tied hundreds of these, and think I can show the best and easiest way to tie it up.

Step one

Take a 15 inch length of coated braid, tie a 2 inch loop at one end and a loop that just about slides over the bend of the hook at the other end. Just two simple over hand loops, you'll find you can move the knots up and down the length of the coated hooklink relatively easy before you tighten and bed them down.

20150603_054940_zpsm3tto0is.jpg

Step two

Strip back about 10mm of coating under the knot of the hook end, I have just found it easier to do this now rather than later.

20150603_055058_zpsezt5kq84.jpg

Step three

Take a length of Super Floss, push it through the loop and push both tag ends through the eye of the hook. You'll find this a lot easier than just trying to push the loop itself through the eye.

20150603_055205_zpswd0neprd.jpg

Step four

Now place on the Micro Ring Swivel and pass the loop over the hook, I usually set the top of the loop in line with the barb of the hook.

20150603_055354_zpsgygaeson.jpg

Step five

Slide on a piece of Heat Shrink Tube, just enough to cover the eye of the hook and the knot that's formed the loop.

20150603_055548_zpsfgmozfll.jpg

Step six

Now place on the Kwik Change Weight,

20150603_055749_zpsmrx243wc.jpg

Edited by nm01

Part 2

Step seven

Now steam the whole rig, using two gate latch needles, one through the Micro Ring Swivel on the hook and the other in the loop at the lead end of the hooklink. Steam carefully and impart the bend you require in the shrink tube.

20150603_060132_zps4495scrn.jpg

Step eight

Place a piece of Super Floss through the Micro Ring Swivel and pull your pop up down and over the barrel of the swivel.

20150603_060404_zpsbgmrnrgs.jpg

Step nine

Tie 4 simple granny knots at the top of the pop up, trim with two small tag ends and heat using a lighter, moisten your finger and flatten the Floss, you won't need a boilie stop.

20150603_060515_zpsmblq5gl8.jpg

2015-06-03%2007.39.30_zpsitfh9dqv.jpg

Step ten

Use a PVA Nugget around the hook, this will stop the hook becoming tangled and help set the rig up in the proper position once its settled on to the lake bed.

20150603_060735_zpsvpcir4hh.jpg

This rig can be used with a multitude of lead set ups, if you use an inline lead make sure you use a Ring Swivel, this will help the whole rig to settle nicely on the bottom.

20150603_060835_zpsk400jgb6.jpg

I have used high attract, bright pop ups on this rig, but I have found it better using matching pop ups, to your loose feed. Its not a hard rig to tie once you have done a few.

This is how the rig sits,

IMG_20150604_163100_zpspbfy8fe6.jpg

I like how the rig constantly resets itself ready for the next investigation.

My components

Fox size 5 SR's

ESP Heat Shrink Tube

25lb Kryston Dark Mantis

Fox Micro Ring/Bait Swivels

Fox Kwik Change Weights

ESP Super Floss

There we have it, my interpretation of the Multi Rig :)

Edited by nm01

Gaz, your using a fox sr hook, with an out turned eye. You are then using the shrink tube to reverse what the angle you get from the line exiting that hook. Have you thought about using a hook pattern with an in-turned eye? That way, you may be able to loose the shrink tube as the angle will be as you want it?

Nige, I have tried with many a pattern of hook, but ive found, for me, this set up acts like a mini chod or hinged stiff rig, with the tube helping turning the hook. I did nearly use a curved shanked hook but I prefer the sr's, I suppose its just a confidence thing :)

I understand and appreciate your input though, thanks :)

Was just thinking a similar pattern hook, not a curve, just with the inturn. Just seems that the only difference in the Sr to the ssp is the eye. Seeing as your not using the out turned eye (trying to overcome it intact), it seems the inturn or straight would sit even better for you? As you say though, it's a personal thing. X

do pop up rigs need turning capabilities?

Could actually turn the wrong way in my eyes?

I believe so Phil, I think its a major contributing factor as pop up rigs are what I like to call ready cocked, look at the curve on a chod, a fish can approach that rig from any direction and you stand a good chance of the bottom lip touching the curve and swinging the hook round into position.

My tube, theoretically does the same job, id also like to add, sometimes I use a small pva bag of crumb attached to the hook, I have found without the tubing the coated hooklink can straighten out, the tubing alleviates this problem also.:)

I really do believe the curve has contributed massively to the success of the chod/hinged rig, but I wanted a rig that presented a bait closer to the bottom, but still retained the same characteristics of a ready cocked rig.

This rig fits the bill, once autumn is in full swing again I shall probably swap over to the hinged rig for the winter until next spring.

The tubing makes no sense to me, it takes away the whole point of the multi rig. Ask yourself, why have I attached the hook with a loop? If you're not going to use it as a method of changing your hook, why have it at all? You could get the exact same rig as this fishing with the hook attached knotless knot style with a break in the coating at your desired place acting as a hinge. 

I use the SRs for my pop-up multi rigs with Atomic Jel-E-Wyre, and it sits exactly as yours does without the need for shrink tubing. Due to the stiffness of the coated braid, the braid stays straight as it comes out the eye of the hook, even if it is out turned. I also use a hook bead to keep the loop sitting in the right place on the hook shank and stop it slipping. I appreciate its a confidence thing for yourself, however I have caught numerous fish on the multi-rig I use and never had a hook hold that isn't bang in the bottom lip and a struggle to remove without forceps. 

I use the SRs for my pop-up multi rigs with Atomic Jel-E-Wyre, and it sits exactly as yours does without the need for shrink tubing. Due to the stiffness of the coated braid, the braid stays straight as it comes out the eye of the hook, even if it is out turned. I also use a hook bead to keep the loop sitting in the right place on the hook shank and stop it slipping. I appreciate its a confidence thing for yourself, however I have caught numerous fish on the multi-rig I use and never had a hook hold that isn't bang in the bottom lip and a struggle to remove without forceps.

Agreed, the concept of the rig is a great one, I too ,so far, have a 100% record, take to banked fish. There are so many aspects as to why I like this rig :)

I have merely taken the idea and made it my own, and im happy with the results it gives me :)