Green lane farm Weeley

Hi everyone,I'm looking to do a couple of nights on the predator lake in early July and I've never fished the lake before,I did fish the lake down the bottom close to the railway line some years ago but have heard that the fish have been moved to the predator at the top so just after some useful info in regards to what it is like and the best baits to use,also I have read some disturbing stuff about the place like problems with ducks and rats and also about the way the place is looked after so any information would be very helpful.

Many thanks

Hi mate,yea I found something through google that was posted on this forum that's how I found the forum,but the posts were very old,2009 if I remember correctly,I was just hoping that someone had fished there in recent months as what I read was quite off putting to be honest and if things have not changed I don't really want to bother,can't be doing with diving ducks and rats as well as loads of rubbish amongst other stuff that I read about at the venue

Hi mate,yea I found something through google that was posted on this forum that's how I found the forum,but the posts were very old,2009 if I remember correctly,I was just hoping that someone had fished there in recent months as what I read was quite off putting to be honest and if things have not changed I don't really want to bother,can't be doing with diving ducks and rats as well as loads of rubbish amongst other stuff that I read about at the venue

Twas 2011 when i was there and it was like Noddys day out .

If Gaz sees this he'll comment but he doesnt get on much nowadays :wink:

Such a shame as when the place only had the bottom lake which I did fish and it was a nice looking lake and I saw some very nice fish come out of it,but then he built the lakes at the top and from what I've read he took all the fish out of the bottom lake and now it sounds like it's gone right down hill,I remember speaking to the farmer when he only had the bottom lake and he told me the lake was created when they built the bypass and it was stocked for him and that he was making more money in day tickets than he was in farming so was thinking about building new lakes so it sounds to me like all he is worried about is making money rather than running a well looked after fishery very sad really

Well I managed to to get over to this lake and have a proper look around yesterday and also have a chat with someone who was doing a 48hr session and was pleasantly surprised at what I saw,the lake is around 6 acres with numerous islands and from what I saw a tidy lake not full of rubbish as I had read on some older posts which I was pleased about.

The guy I spoke to was very forthcoming about the lake explaining that it is not an easy water and by no means a runs water but the lake does contain some very nice carp that he has personally caught too 35lb and has a friend who has caught carp to 37lb,he also said there are quite a few catfish in the lake upto 40lb.

Apparently the lake originally comprised of 2 lakes but around 4years ago it was combined into one lake and from what I could see it looked great,I saw a few large fish crash so that has wetted my appetite to get over and fish the lake,so just have to wait now for a couple of weeks now and then I will be over there for a 60hr session and hopefully a few large carp pleaseeeee.

Will post how it goes when I've been.

Well I managed to to get over to this lake and have a proper look around yesterday and also have a chat with someone who was doing a 48hr session and was pleasantly surprised at what I saw,the lake is around 6 acres with numerous islands and from what I saw a tidy lake not full of rubbish as I had read on some older posts which I was pleased about.

The guy I spoke to was very forthcoming about the lake explaining that it is not an easy water and by no means a runs water but the lake does contain some very nice carp that he has personally caught too 35lb and has a friend who has caught carp to 37lb,he also said there are quite a few catfish in the lake upto 40lb.

Apparently the lake originally comprised of 2 lakes but around 4years ago it was combined into one lake and from what I could see it looked great,I saw a few large fish crash so that has wetted my appetite to get over and fish the lake,so just have to wait now for a couple of weeks now and then I will be over there for a 60hr session and hopefully a few large carp pleaseeeee.

Will post how it goes when I've been.

Hope you do ok matey :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

Well i fished this lake and it was not an easy lake to be honest but with the limited info I had managed to get on the lake I had expected that anyway.

Well we arrived on the Tuesday early afternoon and it was very windy but sunny and warm but there was no fish showing at all,so into the first night and I was awakened at 3am to a bite alarm going off but not mine it was my cousins and it turned out to be a very small Catfish of 9lb but at least we saw a fish on the bank,anyway into the second day and still very little sign of fish so I had a chat with my brother about a change of bait which would mean going to a tackle shop in Clacton about 6 miles away which is what I did and decided to try Active 8 frozen.

So I return and it's now it's well into the afternoon and so change the bait and put out a fair few freebies and within 20 minutes my brother hooks into what we knew pretty quickly was a Catfish and a hard fighting one at that,after a 25min battle he finally gets it in and it is very nice 42lb(he has caught cats too 61lb but said he has never had fight as hard as that) into the evening and at around 11pm my alarm screams and at last I'm in and straight away I know I'm into a cat as the fight is unmistakable and after a 20min battle i manage to land what turns out to be a PB for me of just over 36lb which I was well pleased with,unfortunately that was pretty much it apart from a small Common of 9lb which my cousin caught as we was packing up,but I like the lake and will return at some point in the future.

Nice write-up, do you think it was worth changing the bait?

Absolutely as the baits we was using were just not working so thought that a change of bait could do no worse and as the result proved it was a good move going to get the different bait,I think to many people get to a lake and will sit there thinking that the fish are just not interested instead of trying to change things like the bait and rigs,in my opinion if your not catching you have got to try all sorts of different things it's no good just sitting there and doing nothing and if that means going off to get some different bait I will do it,some would say why did I not take a variety of baits and looking back I should have done but I did not just think oh well that's life I done something about it.

Well i fished this lake and it was not an easy lake to be honest but with the limited info I had managed to get on the lake I had expected that anyway.

Well we arrived on the Tuesday early afternoon and it was very windy but sunny and warm but there was no fish showing at all,so into the first night and I was awakened at 3am to a bite alarm going off but not mine it was my cousins and it turned out to be a very small Catfish of 9lb but at least we saw a fish on the bank,anyway into the second day and still very little sign of fish so I had a chat with my brother about a change of bait which would mean going to a tackle shop in Clacton about 6 miles away which is what I did and decided to try Active 8 frozen.

So I return and it's now it's well into the afternoon and so change the bait and put out a fair few freebies and within 20 minutes my brother hooks into what we knew pretty quickly was a Catfish and a hard fighting one at that,after a 25min battle he finally gets it in and it is very nice 42lb(he has caught cats too 61lb but said he has never had fight as hard as that) into the evening and at around 11pm my alarm screams and at last I'm in and straight away I know I'm into a cat as the fight is unmistakable and after a 20min battle i manage to land what turns out to be a PB for me of just over 36lb which I was well pleased with,unfortunately that was pretty much it apart from a small Common of 9lb which my cousin caught as we was packing up,but I like the lake and will return at some point in the future.

Nice one, I am of the opinion that when cats are actively feeding it puts the carp off.

Absolutely as the baits we was using were just not working so thought that a change of bait could do no worse and as the result proved it was a good move going to get the different bait,I think to many people get to a lake and will sit there thinking that the fish are just not interested instead of trying to change things like the bait and rigs,in my opinion if your not catching you have got to try all sorts of different things it's no good just sitting there and doing nothing and if that means going off to get some different bait I will do it,some would say why did I not take a variety of baits and looking back I should have done but I did not just think oh well that's life I done something about it.

Very true :)

Nice one, I am of the opinion that when cats are actively feeding it puts the carp off.

Yea I'm inclined to agree,I think that when they are feeding they bully the carp out which is a shame and I can't see what you can do to stop it,in the passed I've tried using fruity baits like strawberry or something along them lines but I've still caught cats,I suppose that's just fishing.