Dangerous Rigs

Gazlaaar

Surely if the main line breaks the fish will be towing the lead around , is that not bad?

if its towing the lead its got more chance of ejecting the rig than if its just trailing a leader. if you think about what makes a running rig effective its the fact it cant use the lead to eject the hook,its the same principal imo

if its towing the lead its got more chance of ejecting the rig than if its just trailing a leader. if you think about what makes a running rig effective its the fact it cant use the lead to eject the hook,its the same principal imo

The principle may be the same but if the main line breaks on a running rig the lead should be able to come off the line and all that I have ever read says the lead should be able to become free of the main line in the event of a break . Not sure chancing the fish can use the lead to get rid of the hook is a good plan .

not if the lead stays fixed,if it slips down the leader then yeah its gonna catch on something and tether,if the fish sheds the lead and is still attached to a leader and mainline the first thing itl do is find some snags,sulk and start shaking the leader around trying to get rid,personaly this is when i think the tethering occurs

The principle may be the same but if the main line breaks on a running rig the lead should be able to come off the line and all that I have ever read says the lead should be able to become free of the main line in the event of a break . Not sure chancing the fish can use the lead to get rid of the hook is a good plan .

if the fish loses the lead its still got the rig/leader/mainline to get rid of but without any leverage

one of the reasons for dropping leads is to get the fish up in the water when fishing over weed,now were told to eject leads on every take, for what reason i dont know. i will say for the record i dont fish with a fixed lead set up even though i feel itd be a safer way to fish. as i said in another thread ive found fish with rusted hooks stuck in infected mouths still towing line with the lead ejected and when ive seen horror pics of tethered fish theyve allways ejected the lead aswell.

Now from my thought, and what I've seen, a fixed fixed lead actually can snag, can catch up on any trailing weed etc.

Trailing a lead around prevents a hook being ejected, the weight keeps pulling the hook into the lip. The hook can only be ejected with no weight, in the form of a splinter being pushed up to the surface of the skin.

The left rig, I thought a joke.

To be fair, I think neither are safe

Now from my thought, and what I've seen, a fixed fixed lead actually can snag, can catch up on any trailing weed etc.

Trailing a lead around prevents a hook being ejected, the weight keeps pulling the hook into the lip. The hook can only be ejected with no weight, in the form of a splinter being pushed up to the surface of the skin.

The left rig, I thought a joke.

To be fair, I think neither are safe

you make a good point about the splinter thing but ive also seen underwater footage of fish using the lead to shake rigs out,i dont think it was korda but somthing on you tube