Normanhurst lake,catsfield,east sussex

Yes, fished it years ago. Used to fish premier blue cheese boilies tight to island margins. The shallow/logs swim used to have some commons in it in the summer. A bait placed to an island margin or under the rhodrudendrums in the margins in the narrow end of the lake when you first walk on the lake. They like a bit of cover here!

:rolleyes:

I used premier baits, matrix, aminos 2000, GLM, Blue cheese flavours. The tackleshop in hastings, A.R. Tackle used to sell it if he's still there, but i should imagine any decent bait will work, i always found location to be far more important here, the carp were very "spotty" if that makes any sense, i would catch a fish from under the rhodrudrendums in the far margins to the right of the swim, yet my mate would blank to the left of the swim. Your bait placement needed to be spot on. It was quite silty due to the proximity of the trees surrounding the lake and its age. Lovely looking lake though.

Walked on, down the path to where the lake starts to open out, putting a bait to the overhanging bushes in the oppasite margins. Or heading further down the bank until i was in a position to put a bait tight to the "island" - then get a mate to nip round and pult some hemp/pellet/boilie tight around the hookbait. I fished there a fair few years ago, so things may have changed. I liked to fish the margins and tucking my bait under quiet, undisturbed holes in the bushes.

Totally different lake now that all the trees have been chopped down on the far bank. They've really spoilt it. 

I was a member last year but didn't visit the lake once (shame because it is in a lovely secluded setting).

Can be very (very) weedy during the Summer months.

I fished there couple of weeks back,soooo weedy even now,think its because of lack of winter temps,so weed hasnt completly died off,i would say its easily at least 2ft deep weed at mo,just wondering if anyones fished it recently i.e decent carpy spots to fish

I think the weed situation has got worse since they cut all the trees away

Wouldnt suprise me, 10-12yrs ago it was all secluded and overgrown, i dont remember any weed growth at all, certianly not enough to cause any issues to the fishing.

What was the name of the little pool behind the catsfield post office on the way to normanhurst? Can you still fish there? Used to fish it in the winter.

What was the name of the little pool behind the catsfield post office on the way to normanhurst? Can you still fish there? Used to fish it in the winter.

That's Broomham.

You can still fish there and there are some reasonable Carp and Perch in there by all accounts, along with Tench.

I've had a few Tench out of there in the past. The Carp always seem to be congregating under the trees on the left hand side and it's impossible to reach them.

A bait boat would come in handy but you'd look a bit silly with a bait boat on a pond that small

:mrgreen:

Edited by smufter

Again i fished there 15+yrs ago, had loads of fish out to 22lb, when i first started there in mid 90's the carp were lovely golden bronzed flanked hard fighting commons of upper singles to low doubles, but i went back many years later and caught small aneamic pasty 3lbers. So either the lake changed or my outlook became rose tinted! Used to fish wishing tree, then Harmers pool (whats that like now?) then buckshole (thats changed too i suppose) then spoon, normanhurst, Kell lake, then up to reading to fish various waters ending up on wraysbury in the end.

I work right next door to Wishing tree. It's a great looking lake (if you ignore the part submerged Tesco shopping trollies etc) and I often see big fish topping out in the middle on a nice day. It's just a shame that it's been left to go to rack and ruin, It upsets me to see the amount of litter left lying around on the bank and I wasn't being disrespectful above when I mentioned "noddies" I should have said "hoodies" because you get all the local "chavs" up there fishing during the school holidays. You still get the odd one or two decent people up there fishing, but unfortunately carp care is non existent by the majority. 

You live nearby? Small world innit?? No, i totally agree with you, the "argos brigade" or "chavvies" as we once called them years ago would descend en masse and just winch the poor blighters in. Its the only place that i got in a fist fight, had my phone stolen, watched a motorbike crash and burn and had teenagers procreating in the bushes... A lot of obscenity for a 13yr old wannabe carper! I used to say that if i could get one wish, i would transport the wish lock stock and barrel and move it deep into the countryside! Ever fish harmers pool or buckshole?

I fished harmers most of last summer,had quite a few out,trouble is its another pond the club doesn't look after,broken lines everywhere,hanging from trees on far bank,i lost 2 decent sized carp cos of line getting tangled in mine! Ever since it flooded it hasnt been the same,it seems they cant control the water level,beatiful pond to to fish peaceful until a random dog comes in the swim and creates havoc,eating bait,knocking rods over etc

They took on Battle "New pond" last year. I went to have a look at it. Bloody hell. I have NEVER seen a pond so weedy or covered in lillies in my life. It would be impossible to find a clear patch, let along bring a decent fish in.....

I'm in Bexhill Ouch.

Im off to normanhurst tomorrow,thought bout battle pond,havnt seen it yet

It's a lovely looking pond. Real "old estate" feel about it with some lovely features. I could imagine spending the whole day sitting here in peace and tranquility....but trust me, you'll either need a JCB or a massive weed rake at least!

Enjoy your session at Normy. Get there early or else all the good swims will be taken!

:wink: