hertfordshire day ticket lakes

Ok so just a bit of an update on this place Westmill Lakes or Ribb valley fisheries in ware. I now live almost directly opposite these lakes and i cyle up there once a week and i am about to start fishing again after a few months layed off with illness.

Basically the larget lake Ribb Lake (used to be the trut lake). Had all the trout removed and the big carp that were present were left in here and at the same time all the carp fro Millenium Lake were transfered to Ribb Lake along with those in the small Lake Westmill lake. Thus making Ribb lake a purpose Carp fishery i believe the stock to include carp to mid 30s. At the same time the rules have been simplified. Boilles are now allowed (they were not b4). The Millenium lake is now the trout lake although you can fish this in summer for course (whats left) and carp may be transfered to Ribb. The small lake westmill is a mixxed course pleasure fishery (some carp) lots of good qulity tench.

The onsite tackle shop is where you go to get tickets and you must pre book night fishing which is £20 for 3 rods for 24 hours. The shop is well stocked with bait, terminal tackle, rods, reels, clothing, lugage and bivies on display. Also present is a cafe (hot and cold food, licensed bar) and there are nice comfy lodges and toilets and showers near each lake (which have recently seen refurbishment).

There is a full list of rules and prices on the website simply google ribb valley fishing or angling and you will get it and there is a link on the westmill farm home page to.

• 2 weeks later...
there isnt too many rules, just the general no boilies or tigernuts, unhooking mats to be used for bigger fish, barbless only etc etc although there are a few randoms like no bolt rigs so you should check em out before fishing lol

me and a mate were going to do a night there this weekend but then we remembered that there was a music festival there all weekend so we are going to do it in about 2 weeks, hopefully it will be more productive than last time for my m8, he had one 3lb carp the shape of a cornish pasty :lol::lol:

last time we went we spoke to this guy who had been fishing there every night during the weekday for 4 weeks at the time ( he had work near there and lived far away so just night fished to save driving back home lol ) and he said that he was getting quite a lot of 20's, but they all seemed to be around the 22 mark but we didnt get any bites through the night, probably because of the thunderstorm :wink:

Yeah I was that guy whole fished there for a few months at nights in 2008.. Had about 40 20+ carp out of there most were between 20-22 biggest was a 27.5 common. It was good but been back this year and since they moved the carp to Rib Lake its not fishing so well. Guess there only about 200 carp in that lake now and its so big with so much natural food its a hard time. Fished it for 6 nights and only had 1 17lb carp and lost a fish.. There is alot of crayfish in there and the bottom is very silty after leaving a boilie in there for 4 hours it comes up stinking and brown and u get lots of pulls from the crays.. Well good luck if you fish Rib lake for carp and keep this forum updated with any catches.. O yeah for carp try the small area by the wooden bridge put rods on bridge and fish inside but be ready to fight carp hard as u dont want them getting under the bridge. I had two in one day last year like this.. You will see the swirls as u walk across the bridge..

there isnt too many rules, just the general no boilies or tigernuts, unhooking mats to be used for bigger fish, barbless only etc etc although there are a few randoms like no bolt rigs so you should check em out before fishing lol

me and a mate were going to do a night there this weekend but then we remembered that there was a music festival there all weekend so we are going to do it in about 2 weeks, hopefully it will be more productive than last time for my m8, he had one 3lb carp the shape of a cornish pasty :lol::lol:

last time we went we spoke to this guy who had been fishing there every night during the weekday for 4 weeks at the time ( he had work near there and lived far away so just night fished to save driving back home lol ) and he said that he was getting quite a lot of 20's, but they all seemed to be around the 22 mark but we didnt get any bites through the night, probably because of the thunderstorm :wink:

Yeah I was that guy whole fished there for a few months at nights in 2008.. Had about 40 20+ carp out of there most were between 20-22 biggest was a 27.5 common. It was good but been back this year and since they moved the carp to Rib Lake its not fishing so well. Guess there only about 200 carp in that lake now and its so big with so much natural food its a hard time. Fished it for 6 nights and only had 1 17lb carp and lost a fish.. There is alot of crayfish in there and the bottom is very silty after leaving a boilie in there for 4 hours it comes up stinking and brown and u get lots of pulls from the crays.. Well good luck if you fish Rib lake for carp and keep this forum updated with any catches.. O yeah for carp try the small area by the wooden bridge put rods on bridge and fish inside but be ready to fight carp hard as u dont want them getting under the bridge. I had two in one day last year like this.. You will see the swirls as u walk across the bridge..

You must be South African Nick?

If so I've heard a fair bit about you from Big Dave :wink:

He told me you were doing reasonably well on there, but because of the times you were fishing that the bailiff didn't always hear what had been out of the lake, hence the occasional disparity in weights between what they said and what I had heard.

You must be South African Nick?

If so I've heard a fair bit about you from Big Dave :wink:

He told me you were doing reasonably well on there, but because of the times you were fishing that the bailiff didn't always hear what had been out of the lake, hence the occasional disparity in weights between what they said and what I had heard.

Yip thats me and bella my dogs is fine Im down here now but only camping till next week sometime. They refusing to let me fish for less than £20 for the day and as on first 6 nights only got one thought its not worth it as Im only here in the evenings. If u hear of anyone starting to catch on rib lake post it here. Personally I think they gonna need to stock some more carp in there maybe 500 or so to get it fishing properly. From what Ive heard they dont really wanna spend money on it yet they more interested in the trout lake. LOL just saw a truck coming now with the trout in tanks on it so any trout fisherman get down now as they stocking it..

Im thinking of try Willows Lakes in St Albans from next week gonna go down there and see what the baliff says. Seems like they got a few 40's in there so it could be fun..

Nick Again

Yeah If anyone comes down the next few day Im gonna be here and more than willing to give some info.. As u come through the gates that get locked Im in the big field in a two man bivvy. If my red peugeot 106 is there Im around just look for me n my rottweiller dont worry she is very friendly just dont walk off with her please as she will go shes that damn friendly. Well if you want any tips u more than welcome to ask. Should be here till 8 October.

Sometime Im on my laptop in the first hut by the lakes..

Well cheers all n tight lines

There were four guys there over friday night. When I spoke to them they had, had a 19 lb common out. What I can say is if you want to pike fish there alot of pike in there. On friday I was speaking to some friends I met last time and convinced one to follow me down a bit and I did 3 cast and had a 13lb pike out and every few cast there were some decent pulls on the lure. So Im starting to recomend it as a pike lake.. Will be having a good go at it soon and see what happens. onna speak to Mike soon and see about giving it a go soon maybe next week for the week. Will definately be fishing for the pike too..

• 2 weeks later...

New carp added to the small lake and to the large carp lake.

Thursday 22nd October saw the introduction of more Carp into both the Westmill and Rib Lake. Westmill lake saw 200 8"-10" Commens and Mirrors enter its water, whilst Rib lake had 54 Commens weighing an average of 8lbs slipped into its murky depths!

from the website today