Nellbridge Aynho - Not a good day

Hi all, fished Nellbridge at Aynho in Northants on Friday just gone, with Smartstots and his dad who had travelled up from Essex to join us.

We got there at half seven, in the rain :( and trudged round the lake in the mud to try and find suitable swims to fish. For a lake which boasts 30's it was a bit of a disappointment to be honest, no permanent platforms or hardstanding, just muddy banks and poor heavily rutted tracks to the lakes.

The three of us fished two rods each, various baits and tactics from half seven til half one on the specimen lake, without even a line bite between us. The only fish we saw was a dead one washed up in the reeds. After speaking to another angler who had turned up to prebait, we moved down the aforementioned track to the Old Lake, which supposedly had more fish but only up to 15lb. We fished the six rods on there til about half five, with the same result, nothing moved and no sign of any fish in there despite plenty of groundbait and roaming the swims.

I know the weather hasn't warmed up completely yet, but it didn't fill me with confidence. Wouldn't fish there again, purely based on the access and peg conditions.

I've fished nellbridge plenty of times and caught plenty of fish out of the specimen lake, I've had fish up to 25lb .

I don't know how you fish but if you only spent half a day on the lake not really a fair test now....

Give it another go after the weather has warmed up....it does get incredibly busy at a weekend.

I've fished nellbridge plenty of times and caught plenty of fish out of the specimen lake, I've had fish up to 25lb .

I don't know how you fish but if you only spent half a day on the lake not really a fair test now....

Give it another go after the weather has warmed up....it does get incredibly busy at a weekend.

Fair point, but even in half a day we should have seen some sign of fish activity on six rods, whether by liners or surface activity, which is why we moved down the RAC rally track to the much smaller Old Lake. We had five rods on the bottom, one float fishing. Baits used during the day were three types of boilies, some popped up, others not, fake sweetcorn, real sweetcorn, spam, and halibut pellet. The boiles and pellets were fished with PVA mesh freebies and three different groundbait mixes.

I'm not denying there are fish in the specimen lake, a 30 came out two weeks ago, but the overall experience was less than expected, purely from an infrastructure point of view.

Well that's fishing....I guess just bad luck, the carp on the specimen lake seem to really like the cell I'm not a massive fan myself but they seem to work for me and a few others I fish with,double 18mm as well so that's what we use,when the weather sorts it self out and things start to level out, head backdown there, the old lake that's the one under the bridge.....I've not fished it but the new lake me and my son fish it, some good fun to be had fishing floaters and zigging my little lad had fish up to 17lb form that lake was a mirror as well as they are mostly commons in all lakes.

Don't give up on it, they are very good lakes.Yeah the swims are not very good but I don't go there because they have nice swims its the fish we go for.

Good luck for next time let us know if you go again and how you get on.....