double hair

muftyboy

oi oi, was just wondering on peoples thoughts on using more than 1 hair on a rig, maybe 2 totally different baits or 1 bottom bait and 1 pop up, has anybody ever tried this and do you think it could have better hooking potential by making the rig harder to eject or have a negative effect :?:

mufty :D

Its a pig to cast having a pop-up on a shank/bend mounted hair, and an eye mounted hair bottom bait. I think its called the one up one down rig :wink:

I used to use it on a water where I could put the end tackle in by hand, and it did work.

It worked and hooked a few fish where I had missed some takes on a simple knotless knot rig, but I think it may have worked due to keeping the hook(point) clear of the weed

i was wondering about tangles but was thinking the use of pva could cure this.

i am thinking about ways of using 2 or even more different baits with lots of different attraction and food sources on 1 rig to create the upmost attraction, i did once use 2 different bottom baits cut in to discs then mounted on the hair with a high attract pop up which caught me a few fish, dont know why i stopped doing this :?::oops:

mufty

Is a snowman presentation not the same thing????

Sounds a little like over complicating things to me.

in theory it is mate but i was just trying to think of something different that might get you a couple of extra bites on them tough days.

with 2 hairs you could use a milk protien bait on one and a fishmeal on the other then bait up with both, then if the carp on that particular day have a preference for say the fishmeal over the milk then you may give yourself a better chance of catching.

the main concern for me is the presentation and hooking potentail of such a rig, perhaps a visit to a runs water with 1 rod on a convential snowman and 1 on the double hair is the way forward.

in theory it is mate but i was just trying to think of something different that might get you a couple of extra bites on them tough days.

with 2 hairs you could use a milk protien bait on one and a fishmeal on the other then bait up with both, then if the carp on that particular day have a preference for say the fishmeal over the milk then you may give yourself a better chance of catching.

the main concern for me is the presentation and hooking potentail of such a rig, perhaps a visit to a runs water with 1 rod on a convential snowman and 1 on the double hair is the way forward.

Like your style mate, trial and error makes things interesting. :D

Like your style mate, trial and error makes things interesting. :D

Agree. Without this sort of experimentation we'd still be back in the days where rods were twigs, cut from hedges.

Anything is worth a try, surely? Just as long as due consideration for our prey is paramount in our thinking.

Ian

With a buoyant bait at the bend end (ooh er Mrs), attached to the shank or at the base of the bend, and a hair coming from the eye end, you can actually lift the hookpoint above the bottom rubbish, preventing the point being masked on a take.

Rod Hutchinson has been mentioned as having published it, but I know that Rob Maylin and Andy Little have both put it in publications, and maybe even Julian Cundiff has said something on those lines.

If I remember rightly, one of Hutchy's versions was of a couple of hairs with grains of hemp on them, used when fishing particles (hemp).