Stiff filament hook link knots.

adamkitson

Was just wondering what knots people use with stiff filament type lines?

I'm tying up some chod rig hook links. I'm happy with the whipping knot, and blobbing the line back through the eye to hold the rig ring, (although I'm using pop up pegs which just set this rig off perfectly for me. No floss, so very very tidy presentation!)

My problem comes attaching to the swivel. I've seen a lot of people passing the line through and using a simple loop knot, which I don't like as it's too floppy for me, and I feel the short length of line is ruined by a big loop tied in the end. I've also tried a palomar knot, but I can't get the loop to pull in tight due to the stiffness of the line!

I'm thinking a three turn blood knot may be the way if I can stop the line kinking when it's tightened. Nice and neat, and a direct attachment to the swivel rather than a lose loop.

Just wondering what you guys use?

:D

I've recently started to crimp mine & I'm happy with the results.

Yea I thought about crimping. The only ones I currently have are too thin for a double thickness of filament. Might have to get some that will work though!

Thanks.

I crimp mine now as well. What filament are you using if it's to thick???

ESP 15lb bristle. It's only to thick as my crimps are from my pike kit and are designed for 7 strand wire which is super thin.

I'll get some new crimps I think. :)

Yea I thought about crimping. The only ones I currently have are too thin for a double thickness of filament. Might have to get some that will work though!

Thanks.

ESP 15lb bristle. It's only to thick as my crimps are from my pike kit and are designed for 7 strand wire which is super thin.

Ah, with you now. I use the crimps made by he who shall not be named and they're alright I believe wychwood make some as well.

Thanks.

Ah, with you now. I use the crimps made by he who shall not be named and they're alright I believe wychwood make some as well.

Yea I'll have a look for the Korda ones. Double barrel is a good idea! Crimps will keep my un-natural need for every knot, tag end or any other imperfection to be changed or covered. OCD much!?! :)

Thanks.

Yea I'll have a look for the Korda ones. Double barrel is a good idea! Crimps will keep my un-natural need for every knot, tag end or any other imperfection to be changed or covered. OCD much!?! :)

Shrink tube and putty hide a multitude of sins! :lol:

Oh yes! Couldn't to without tapered rig sleeves either! :)

I agree about not adding metal work where not needed, but I recon a crimp at the bottom of the hook link would help to keep the bottom of the rig on the deck.

Not a problem when fishing a lead core leader of course, which I do mostly, (All extremely safely set up btw) but naked chod set up needs a bit of something to keep the rig grounded. A crimp with a bit of tungsten putty would work nicely.

I agree about not adding metal work where not needed, but I recon a crimp at the bottom of the hook link would help to keep the bottom of the rig on the deck.

Not a problem when fishing a lead core leader of course, which I do mostly, (All extremely safely set up btw) but naked chod set up needs a bit of something to keep the rig grounded. A crimp with a bit of tungsten putty would work nicely.

That's exactly what I do mate.

Great, thanks for that. :D what hook link length do you use? I normally go for as short as possible, maybe an inch or so on a naked set up as it drops slower with nothing to pull it down, and maybe 2 - 3 inch on a lead core depending on how deep the weed or silt I'm fishing over. Sound about right to you?.

Great, thanks for that. :D what hook link length do you use? I normally go for as short as possible, maybe an inch or so on a naked set up as it drops slower with nothing to pull it down, and maybe 2 - 3 inch on a lead core depending on how deep the weed or silt I'm fishing over. Sound about right to you?.

Yes mate, all depends what you're fishing over :wink: