putty and shot

woodchester17

afternoon all, when using a line aligner be it pop up or bottom bait some say to use a huge blob of putty on the hooklink to help the tubing turn and set the hook,yet i was thinking would not a big blob of putty or shot prevent the hooklink from being sucked back in the fishes mouth, being heavy??

thoughts please chaps!!

wils.

My only use for leadcore now is to use the lead inner and wrap it around the hooklink for a pop up weight, then just heat some green shrink tube over the top, you'll have to experiment a little and count the turns until you find enough works, but you can twist it back over the original twisting, i will put up a couple of pictures for you if you like :)

I'm not sure with pop-up rigs whether that the fish suck the bait up at all, I think on many occasions that they pick it up, especially if it is higher off the lakebed. If it is very low and no more than a couple of centimetres off the lakebed then they may suck it as if they are sucking and blowing the rest of their food.

If they are picking it up, then that blob of putty may not cause any problems as the fish take the bait anyway, and the hook hopefully take instant hold, especially with pop-ups with the hookbait tight to the shank. If they are picking the bait up and it is a bottom bait, then that putty may cause no problems.

However if the fish are suckers and blowers then the putty may cause problems for the hook to even move off the lakebed towards the fishes mouth.

I hope that makes sense, but you have to decide whether the fish you are after in the lake you are fishing are "suckers and blowers" or "pick up" feeders, or if the addition of putty to the rig rig will make a difference in the area or spot you are fishing as fish may have different preferences dependant on whether they are feeding over silt or gravel, or other harder bottoms.