Where to go for a long weekend abroad

cobleyn

Anyone got any ideas of somewhere a bit different to go for a long weekend? I've got a long weekend coming up with a mate and we're just trying to work out a venue.

The Ebro is calling...but for carp not cats. It has to be said that the flights are a bit tricky though so I'm looking for other options.

I quite fancy extramadura, a day or two for comizo barbel and then onto the big lakes there for carp.

Dunno...any ideas?

I used to fish the Extramadura area when I lived in Portugal. It's probably got some of the best fishing in Europe with waters like Orellana, Sierra Brava and the Guadiana river. If your lucky enough to hook in to a Comizo Barbel it will be a fight you will never forget.

All the fish I have caught from the area are in pristine condition and fight for there lives. The mirror in my profile picture was caught in Orellana.

I quite fancy it to be honest. It looks like it ticks all of the boxes. I can see it turning into a week trip though if the missus will sign it off :D

If we did a couple of days on Orellana fishing 24 x 7- what's the average catch likely to be between the two of us.

Is it worth taking a load of bait and filling it in?

Guest keenook
You can't just casually stroll up and say 'eup cob', after a 6 month hiatus :lol::lol::lol:

Where've you been?

PS. think Africa may be a touch far for a weekend.

I will pm you.

I quite fancy it to be honest. It looks like it ticks all of the boxes. I can see it turning into a week trip though if the missus will sign it off :D

If we did a couple of days on Orellana fishing 24 x 7- what's the average catch likely to be between the two of us.

Is it worth taking a load of bait and filling it in?

It's difficult to say what the average catch rate is as on Orellana it's so big, 37km long :shock: I've known people to go for a week or more and blank, others who have hauled in a weekend.

The best thing to do is get your self a guide even if it's to point you in the right direction. Night fishing used to be illegal,I think now you can night fish if you have a quide who has a license. We used to bivvy up and keep a low profile, fortunately we were never caught.

Big beds of baits always worked well, particles, boilies, pellets and tigers. The last time I was there I met a Spanish guy who was Sponsered by Mainline and he had taken 200kg of boilies for a long weekend :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

So we've settled for 3.5 days on the top lake of the Ebro. The "top lake" is a slight misnoma...it's about 12 miles long and a mile wide in some places.

A Report will be delivered when we get back...unless we blank...and then I'll pretend we never went! :lol::lol::lol:

• 3 weeks later...
So we've settled for 3.5 days on the top lake of the Ebro. The "top lake" is a slight misnoma...it's about 12 miles long and a mile wide in some places.

A Report will be delivered when we get back...unless we blank...and then I'll pretend we never went! :lol::lol::lol:

Hey cobleyn, how did go your session on thr ebro? Which area did u fish? Did u go by yourself or with a guide? I am planning a session in september but never fished the ebro! Waiting for ur reports!

Cheers

It's not too far off now. I'll put a report together when we get back. It my 6th trip out there over the last 10 years, so I've got a good feel for the place now. The plan is to head up the top end near escatron...as the fish have been stacked after spawning. They may have headed back out though. So we end up nearer caspe.

Where are you heading for in sept?

Ok, good luck so! I think we will try to go down the river flix ribaroja or maybe down. Caspe chiprana area is not over fished? Do u use a boat ? As u have been fishing there many years i guess u go by yourself not with a guide? As it is going to be our first session on the ebro i am trying to get as much info as possible!

Good luck and hope ur report will be full of fish

Ok, good luck so! I think we will try to go down the river flix ribaroja or maybe down. Caspe chiprana area is not over fished? Do u use a boat ? As u have been fishing there many years i guess u go by yourself not with a guide? As it is going to be our first session on the ebro i am trying to get as much info as possible!

Good luck and hope ur report will be full of fish

If its your first trip I would seriously consider a guide. It's a huge piece of water and the fish can be temperamental and nomadic.

Some places demand a boat and two of you to get your bait out. Other places a pub chuck over 20kgs of bait will do the job.

Theres a chap called Ed Brett out there who knows the segre and Ebro as well as you can and is worth hiring for a few days to get you into the swing of things. Pitching up on mecquinenza front is easy fishing but not very adventurous and can resemble Blackpool pier.