Using maggots advice please

koicarpus

Hi

I'm off to abbey lakes (France) in April and was thinking of using maggots on one rod. I've never used them before, but know of people which have had good results at other venues. I'm thinking of taking 50 pints, which is roughly £100, do you think this would be enough for one rod on a weeks session? I'm thinking of boating out large pva bags, they're roughly 150mm x 100mm, which I could maybe get around 1/2 a pint in. I'm one for putting out a bit of bait, and I just think those maggots in one pva bag will wriggle away on 5 mins and leave my hookbait!

I'll have a play in the margins before I start, and have a play in my pond before I go.

Any advice on quantities to chuck out, how to get them out there, or if I'm even wasting my time using them at abbey!!

Many thanks

Dave

I remember reading one of those underwater tests in a mag last year where they used maggots in a swimfeeder.

They were surprised to find how long it took the maggies to get out of the feeder, and also the fact that they didn't go far once out.

Might be worth trying that in your pond or in the margins to see how far they go...

A couple of thoughts.

How are you going to keep 50 pints of maggots cold?

they will generate a massive amount of heat by themselves making them stink, die and generally un-pleasant whilst driving; even with open windows.

Is it o.k. to take them through customs?

When making up your PVA bags, put some weight in the bag to make sure they sink.

Have you thought about using horlicks or stickymag instead of PVA?

As suggested, dead maggots may be good, but it's still storage.

Sorry :oops:, don't know about the venue. And I'm not exaggerating about the the heat given off by live maggots in large quantities, France is generally a bit warmer than here and that can also make a big difference.

Have a good time!

If you do take maggots, split them down into smaller quantities and put them in freezer bags, take all the air out and put the bags in a cool box. They will last fine for a week no problem. Just put them in the fridge for a day or two before you go to really chill them.

Also they wont go that far from the spot, they don't wriggle away but sometimes they will try to bury themselves, I would use mainly deads as live ones die fairly quickly in water and I would top up with live ones In bags just for the movement factor. You will be able to buy dead maggots for next to nothing or phone your local tackle shop to keep back the old ones and kill them yourself you will get them loads cheaper.

Most of the farms are selling them at £10.50 to £13 per gallon depending on colour/quality.

So 85p per pint is great value for money. If you know this guy can you do me a favour and ask him about casters, what price he can do these for. Don't mind if they are slightly older as these make a good spod bait for zig fishing.