long hooklength in pva bags???

manuel86

Just wanted to ask how long a hooklength is suitable for a multi 85 x 100 size pva bag. im currently fishing about a 12inch hooklength. with pva bags i understand its better to have the lead in the bag too. i was thinking though as its only a small venue do you think i could get away with no lead and using the bag as my casting weight? Im only using half ounce leads anyway.

thanks Dave

I use between 6inch - 12 inch hooklinks depending on the venue and i find that around 6 or 8inch is enough of a length for solid bags.

also to answer your question about the lead, How small is the lake? and how far do you generally cast? but i would personally use a in line lead either way because it also helps hooking the fish as well.

• 2 months later...

A few ways to get hooklinks into PVA bags, and the length can be pretty much anything you want with a braided hooklink.

Although an Inline lead goes in easier and more tidily, it is still possible to use Pendant leads.

I think everyone on here knows I use Pendant Running leads and what is probably compared to many long hooklinks at about 20-30cms. Put the hookbait in the bottom of the bag, and then fill a little bit, put the hooklink in and keep filling up around it until 3/4 full. Either lick and stick or cut the bag so that you can use the tag ends to knot up around the lead or tubing above the lead. This will close the bag as well as fixing it to the lead for good casting.